Friday, June 29, 2018

the reformation (for the upteenth time)

Somewhere I've gotten this odd idea that cataloging my attempts at living healthier will lead to more success if I make it public. Maybe it's because it worked for me in the past (and by "past" I mean a solid eight years ago, when I went from 210 to 135). My healthy living has gradually declined since getting married, which isn't surprising; just as you have the "Freshman Fifteen," you're also faced with the "Married Twenty." Granted I haven't gained that much since Ashley and I tied the knot, but I've definitely drifted from where I want to be. Though, to be honest, my weight doesn't really concern me. One's weight, after all, is just an arbitrary number. What matters to me is getting back to the strength I used to have. My goal in these "reformations" isn't to lose weight but to make major strides in becoming fitter and healthier (though if I were able to get down to 160, my Wedding Day Weight, I would count that as a victory). Ashley's super supportive, but she's adamant about me not losing too much weight. She likes a little thickness (as do I!), and let's be real: when I dropped down to 135 I looked like a thirteen year old. My bearded scruff and thickness around the waist does wonders to help me look more than half my age.

In order to get healthier, I've been slowly adopting a more natural diet, cutting out fast food, limiting processed foods, and increasing fruits and vegetables while trying to ingest only complex grains. I've been dabbling with a hybrid version of the Mediterranean diet, focusing on fish (particularly tuna and salmon), lean proteins such as chicken, and lots of healthy fats (with a generous amount of eggs; we go through a carton of 120 eggs in about two weeks!). So far I've dropped from 180 to 173 (the picture above is from when I started seven pounds ago), so I think the diet's working. In addition to dieting I've been gradually bringing weight lifting back into the picture (cardio is pretty much out thanks to a bad knee; my doctor thinks my knee pain is due to my leg bones not lining up right with my knee joints, and only breaking my leg and realigning it can solve that problem). My current exercise regimen is as follows:

   Monday - chest and shoulders

   Tuesday - abdomen and back

   Wednesday - arms and legs

   Thursday - rest day

   Friday - chest and shoulders

   Saturday - abdomen and back

   Sunday - arms and legs


My aim is to post updates at the end of each month.
(But if I fall off the wagon, don't expect any updates, due to shame)

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...