Monday, January 30, 2023

the year in books [I]



The first six books in my 2023 Reading Queue are all nonfiction: two books - Garner's The New Creationism and Morris' The Young Earth - are scientific arguments for the universe being only thousands of years old. Godawa's When Watchers Ruled the Nations examines the 'sons of God' in Genesis 6 and the rogue elohim who ruled unjustly over the nations scattered at Babel. Giles' Life in a Medieval Village was an in-depth examination of what medieval life in an English village was like, and it was considered an invaluable resource for George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones series. G.I. Williamson's The Westminster Shorter Catechism: A Study Guide is an exploration of the teachings and concepts contained within the catechism. The last book, 2000 Years of Christ's Power: The Age of the Early Church Fathers, is the first in what I believe will be a fantastic overview of church history. There are five books currently in the series, and I'm already continuing with the second book. 

Of these books, my favorite was 2000 Years of Christ's Power: The Age of the Early Church Fathers, and my least liked was Giles' Life in a Medieval Village. Don't get me wrong, it was an informative read with lots of interesting facts, but you've got to have a serious interest in that stuff to be enthralled. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...