Friday, March 12, 2004

Jesus' name a swear word?

Jesus' Name a Swear Word

The other day at GRIP "Jake" asked us why people used Jesus' name in vain, such as swearing, "Jesus Christ!" We don't ever hear anyone yell when they stub their toe or slam their thumb under a hammer, "Mohammed!" or "Buddha!" or "Confuscious!" So what makes Jesus' name stick out so much? Well, I don't really have an answer. It's just interesting. Some people at GRIP said it's because people are offended by Jesus--yes, Jesus was offensive, the Gospel is offensive; some said it was because Jesus was real, his godlihood is real, and the Gospel is real--all very true. Maybe because he's the most famous person to ever live, across the universe? Maybe because to proclaim to be a follower of Jesus is to be hated, despised, made fun of, so they do a 180 and mock Jesus, to divorce from the unpopularity often associated with following after Jesus. I don't know.

But I do recall--I can't remember where or when--someone saying that Jesus' name being used as a swear word is terrible.

I disagree. Sure, using God's name in vain--Jesus' name in vain--is terrible. But is Jesus' name being used as a swear word so terrible? I might sound heretic, but I think it is an honor. No other person has their name turned into a swear word. It shows that Jesus makes people uncomfortable, is a heretic, and impacted the world so immensely that his very name is used as a curse.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that we are to go out there and start using Jesus' name in vain. Don't. God says not to. I'm just asking you to politely look at it in a new light, a positive light. Our world is too filled with negativity. Besides, while I can't quite place it, I feel something lurking in this fact, that Jesus' name is a swear word, something pointing right to his divinity--for, as the Scriptures say, people turn against God, and Jesus is God.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...