Monday, March 01, 2004

crises of spiritual identities

I believe I am among thousands--maybe millions?--across the United States--and the world--who, after seeing Passion, are feeling 'spiritually raw'. As I have said, a sick person doesn't realize how sick they are until they are shown someone who is really healthy. Lots of people--including myself--perhaps underestimated the power of Mel Gibson's movie, and the power of God to work through it. Lots of people, I believe, came face-to-face with the loving Messiah that day, not a Messiah on screen, but a Messiah who still lives. People are groping with questions; not just those who never made decisions for Christ, but also those who have pursued a lifelong relationship with Him. No one is exempt, because none of us are perfect--we all have our pitfalls, our sins, our dark secrets we hide from society, friends, families. But God knows these dark secrets. No need to bring them out of the closet for Him; he knows. And God is the only one who can heal us, the only one who can mend our crooked hearts, our stiff wills. I believe God has used this movie to illuminate the greatest passion ever, the passion that lasted 12 Hours, but the effects that will ring into eternity--forever and ever--literally. If we see the Passion movie over and over, will we be cured of our sicknesses? No. It's just a movie. But it can highlight where things are wrong in our lives, where we are falling short of the goal God has asked us to set our eyes upon. The Passion is a window--we need to step through that window, and it is a choice of willpower. Through Passion, a reminder of what Jesus went through for me, I have found where I need to really 'whip myself into line', spiritually. And I have to say, that if someone went into the theatre, saw the movie, saw what Jesus really went through, and walked out feeling prouder of himself, then he'd missed the whole point. I have yet, though, to see someone spiritually and emotionally untouched by this film.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...