Monday, March 01, 2004

the sixth week

this ain't your everyday carpenter
Monday. Art class was boring, and we had a review in Algebra. Hagan was talking 'bout Boris Yeltzik and Putin with Elana, the most adorable Ukrainian girl ever. Our chemistry teacher went berserk in class, later apologized. Mr. Wertz has no control over study hall, and despite doing lots of homework over the weekend, I'm absolutely screwed in Accounting. I worked 4-8:00. This week I'm seeing the new Passion of the Christ movie, the one directed by Mel Gibson and starring the actor from The Thin Red Line as Jesus. It's R-rated, so some people say it's evil. That's dumb. This is a realistic movie portraying the actual historicity of Jesus' passion, the most momentous event in human history!

Tuesday. I took Lee home from school, and I waited for Chris at the bus-stop, crouched behind my Jeep. The bus pulled up. The bus driver told all the kids on the bus, "There's a Jeep parked on the road with people hiding behind it. No one talk to them!" Chris rolled his eyes, mumbled, "Oh, no..." End result: Chris & Lee came over, and we played pool and hung out till Jeff, Zach, and Dewenter came over for our D-Group. Jeff had a book about the Passion movie, filled with graphic images. We talked about the big question that's blowing up in the media: "Who really did kill Jesus?" I say the Jews squeezed the trigger. 

Wednesday. I dropped Ams off at Aly's after school. Chris came over, and then Dewenter came by. We burned plastic bottles into contorted figures with lighters. We played some more pool; I'm kinda getting bored of it. We got into my Jeep and picked up Amanda, then picked up Ashlie, and we dropped them off at the Howard's, and I dropped Chris off at the Lloyd's for his small group, and I picked up Lee, grabbed food from I.G.A., ate fast, and then we went back to the Howard's, picked up the girls, and then we dropped Ashlie off. We drove from the Howard's to her house with the windows down and the A.C. blasting, our bodies freezing in the extreme early-February night cold. Back at the house Lee was picked up by Debbie, and Dewenter was picked up by his sister. It was a wildly hectic day, and we're all super pumped about the Passion movie. Mel Gibson is awesome in SIGNS. George Bush, Jr. is opposing gay marriage. I think gay marriage is awful. Homosexuality is awful. It pains and angers me that people are accepting of it ["And it pains and angers me now to know that I actually wrote and believed this..."]. Catholicism is more accepting of it, but I think Catholicism in general shies from the truth, though there are certainly devout Jesus-followers in their ranks (though all the molestation does make this hard to believe).

Thursday. I'm starting to get mixed feelings about The Passion of the Christ, and I couldn't stop thinking about it at work. Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited about it. But I feel that the public's responses to it are just plain wrong. People are going to the movies to "find Jesus" when Jesus isn't found in a movie, but in our hearts, our minds, our souls, molding us, beside us. People seem to think that if they see this movie, it will move them to spiritual tears; but will the on-screen message stick? This movie, it's a piece of art, a wonderful piece of art, and nothing more: a sad but true story with a delightfully happy ending despite the grotesque carnage along the way. I think for Christians like me, it can be an eye-opener, a confirmation, or even "just another Jesus movie." I think it'll move--spiritually, emotionally, and mentally--those currently following Christ. But is it a good witnessing tool, mentioning nothing of the origin of sin, salvation, or even most of the Message? It's an artisan depiction of Isaiah 53, and those who aren't Christians probably won't be swooned to Jesus by it, but repelled, as has been the case of most non-Christian critics. The thing that draws people into contact with Jesus isn't a "movie of the year" by an anti-Semite but real friendships and relationships with loving followers of Christ. After my 4-7:00 shift, I did a lot of work on my Accounting project: I'm still screwed, but I don't care.

Friday. After school I worked 4-9:00, and on my 1/2 hour break I drove to Chris' house to hang out, but he was on a walk with Pat Dewenter. I talked with Debbie instead, then cruised around the neighborhood, then went back to work for another two hours, and some TV comedian came through our I.G.A. buying steaks. I spent the night at Chris' and bought peanuts from the U.D.F. in town, where I saw Mom & Dad refueling after their own dinner. Debbie bought snacks and chips. Lee came home from work around 10:30, and we went to Applebee's. It was Happy Hour and lots of people were silly and drunk. Dewenter and Chris went to bed early in Luke's room, and Lee and I were up until 3:00 A.M. I'm seeing The Passion of the Christ tomorrow, and I'm more excited than ever. Megan in Geometry says it really hit her hard, and she isn't even religious. Dylan & Tyler saw it Wednesday, and they cried. Vicki says people coming through I.G.A. say it's unbelievable. Vicki's a seeker, and she said the movie emphasized "just how much God did for us." 

Saturday. Debbie woke us up and we threw on our clothes. We took the long way to the theater, got in with only minutes to spare. I was so scared we were going to miss it. We found seats--I sat next to Matt & Lee--and the lights dimmed and the movie rolled. It was astounding, one of the best movies I've ever seen. While I didn't break into tears, I was choking when (1) Mary tried to get to Jesus but was burred away, and (2) when Jesus cried out in pain, "Father, forgive them!" The graphics were intense, the movie's stuck in everyone's head. The drive to the movie was loud and boisterous, but absolutely quiet on the way back: we were all deep in thought. Mel Gibson did a good job at hurling it home. I believe I left that theater changed. We ate dinner at Wendy's with Ashlie, Aly & Amanda. We parted ways, and my family went up to Columbus to the Witt's to celebrate some birthdays and eat delicious food. One of Megan & Matthew's friends read Hours of Horror three times, she loved it so much! We played Ghosts in the Graveyard and walked along the train tracks. Hannah was sandwiched and Bailey fish-hooked. Back home and before bed Mom said, "Christ did a lot for us, didn't he?" I nodded. "Yeah, he did."

Sunday. It was a fun, exciting, happy day. Zach, Lee, Brandon & I helped out Brian with J.A.M. at church, the little kids' service. We didn't have any student classes today: Roger spoke on the Passion of the Christ. It was a powerful sermon, lots of people were crying. The worship was intense, and we had a special communion (with Hawaiian sweet bread!) set out on tables. After church Ashlie, Amanda & I had lunch at the China Garden Buffet, and then we went by Chris & Lee's. It was boring: Chris was sleeping and Lee was working on a history project. Corey was there, and he came back to our house with Ashlie & Ams and me. We trekked down to the woods at North Park and hiked the slopes and waded after some kids' lost ball in the creek. We went to 1/2 Price Books and E.B. Games, and we went to Lazer Web in Centerville with a bunch of people from church. I got second place in the first game, fourth place in the second. Corey went home, and the girls and I ate out at McDonald's before we took Ashlie home. I finally caught up in Accounting! Ashlie is mad at her boyfriend (Pat) Hague; Megan's mad at Amanda; and Amanda's upset over Brad. So much drama. Oh: Dad baptized Mom in our bathtub today!

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...