Sunday, April 10, 2005

Yesterday Mom, Dad and I left around 7:45, bound south, into the heart of Price Hill, and eventually emerging at Cincinnati Bible College. We were split up and I scheduled my classes. I decided to act on some wisdom and took an Early Week class - I will start school on August 15, and throughout that entire week will take a psychology course (at least it isn't math... praise God!) from 8-5. It will be nice to get it out of the way, and afterwards I may just hang out with friends from the class or listen to music in my dorm room. I get the weekend off (obviously), and then the next weekend is Freshmen Orientation week, where we go through a whole bunch of stuff and get to know each other. Only after that weekend (half a month into my C.C.U. career) will my roomie John come from Pennsylvania, and actual school will start. My schedule looks something like this: Monday I have two classes, one an hour and fifteen minutes long and the other fifty minutes long, and I get out at noon. Tuesday I'm done by ten o'clock. Wednesday is the same as Monday; Thursday I have a class in the morning, then a block class in the afternoon. Friday is the same as Monday and Wednesday. So except for Thursday, I will always be done by noon (or ten o'clock) and I don't have to wake up till seven (YES!!!). College will be so grand.

Yesterday I met a lot of cool people. I already knew John, and had been acquainted with Nick, a guy who reminds me of Blue from The Jungle Book. There's Kara from Missouri, she's really cool; John is going out with a girl named Julie, and she can never stop smiling. Cassie wants a massage every ten seconds, and John is good at massages. Michael dresses like a gangster, but he doesn't sound like one. We pretty much just hung out, laughed, played video games, went to see a movie, drove to Kroger and McDonald's and got 19-cent slushies at AmeriStop. John is into Ace Ventura, too, so I know I'm not alone. (Good evening, Captain Stubing, permission to come aboard, sir!). John's current roomie only showers once every four days and I wish I would've known that before sleeping in the bed. John leaves the room window open 24/7 to keep out the smell (or attempt at such).

While there was much laughter yesterday, one thing happened that made me laugh the hardest - on the inside; on the outside, I just cracked a smile. We were driving through Price Hill, and there was this ten-year old white kid dressed like a gangster, rummaging through a store's cigarette dispenser, and I wonder if he was looking for a cigarette. I hope not. Just the thought made me laugh.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...