Friday, June 02, 2006

a lament

GOD, come to my aide, for your servant is weary
GOD, shine your face upon me, for your servant is heartbroken.
GOD, heal the empty ache of my soul, for tears are my diet day and night.

Have You abandoned me, O LORD? Have You cast me out of Your favor?
Have You forgotten me, O LORD? Have Your thoughts passed over Your servant?
I have served You since my youth, I have ordered my life according to Your precepts.
I have obeyed the commands of Your mouth, and for Your sake have I suffered, O LORD!
O LORD, You know what it is that I desire.
The desire of my inward being does not escape You.
O LORD, I do not desire that which is an abomination to You.
No, GOD, I desire that which You wish for all Your creatures.
I feel so alone, O GOD! I feel so rejected, abandoned, forgotten, passed-over.
GOD, why do You hide joy from me? Why do You not come to my aide?
Day and night I weep and cry out to You; often my pain is unable to be put into words.
When will You shine Your face upon me? When will I taste Your deliverance?
When will You kiss my life and come through with Your promises?

GOD, I have strayed from Your ways countless times,
but in my heart I delight in You and in Your ways.
I have embraced You in faith and repentance.
When will You touch Your servant's tongue with laughter,
melt his heart to gladness,
and grant him rest?

As I weep at midnight, I place my confidence in You.
As my heart burns with sorrow, my soul whispers, "Stay with GOD! Don't quit! Stay with GOD!"
As hopelessness dwells within my bones, I hear Your voice:
"Trust in Me. Hope in Me. Wait--and watch!"
I do not put confidence in mere men, but in the all-powerful and living God,
the One who kisses me in my suffering and bathes me in His own.

I rejoice in You, Yahweh! My heart burns in ecstasy at the mention of Your name!
I rejoice in You, Yahweh! Joy floods my entire being: "I am Yours and You are mine!"
I rejoice in You, Yahweh! You smile upon me even now!
I rejoice in You, Yahweh! You are the source of my hope,
the wellspring of strength,
and my deliverer.
My soul sings, and I cry out: "Stay with GOD! Don't quit! Yes! Stay with GOD!"
I dare to believe that even in this life I shall taste of Your goodness!

1 comment:

tenahawkins said...

WOW! That's a 1-2 heartfelt lament.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...