Sunday, June 04, 2006

The weekend was spent in Mount Vernon with one of my best friends, John: he and his fiance Julie were united in an intimate dance (marriage). John started crying when Julie began walking with her father; last night, Brian, Nick and I were with him in the Jeep, and we asked, "So are you going to cry tomorrow, Man?" "No, I'm not going to cry." We all started laughing. My awkwardness shined like a Roman candle: I didn't know how to walk my bride'smaid up the aisle, I tripped over the white runner, I spilled my drink during the toast, and I failed at trying to dance. I eventually just went outside, laughing at myself. I also got yelled at for laughing at the burnt, lopsided cake; I laughed in private, no one was there but the groomsmen and one woman, and, I'm sorry, but it was hilarious. Sorry for laughing at things that are funny. "Memories, not mistakes." I am officially the most unsuave person I know; I fail miserably at formalities. When I am a minister and doing weddings or funerals, I'm going to have to practice hard. Hah.

Jr. High and Sr. High were joined for class today, because the real youth minister was away with a retreat. We talked about Ecclesiastes, the sum of the message being: "Life sucks. Fear God and keep His commandments." It was an entirely depressing message, yes, but it is a message that is real. Life sucks a lot, we live in a fallen world, so we must just enjoy life the best we can while fearing God and keeping His commandments; this duty is for every person. A lot of the kids were depressed, but I think that it is a bad thing to live in a fantasy-world. We had so many kids, though, that it was hard to teach: I really enjoy smaller classes, anywhere from ten to twenty (not fifty to sixty!) because then the message comes off in conversation, not lecture.

Gatlinburg tomorrow: relaxation, writing, contemplating, studying (college work). Should be nice. Jacuzzi and coffee and perhaps a cigar.

5 comments:

Mike said...

Sometimes the message seems right when it is in your head, but the crowd may need something different. Although it is true that "life sucks," it isn't something we usually need reminded of. Most of the time what we need is a strong dose of hope. Hope doesn't tend to be a popular message. Why? because doom and gloom sells. (just look at the Left Behind series.) When planning a lesson, I often try to have two or three goals in mind. That way the crowd's thoughts can move the direction of the conversation instead of me trying to stick to my agenda.

Rochelle said...

Listen to Mike...he knows what works :) and he's right about the Left Behind Series :)
Homework on vacation :( no way !
Have a good time..it should be nice this time of year

darker than silence said...

Mike, thanks so much for the comment. I wish I would've spent some time talking about the hope we have in a fallen world of a new life here-and-now and a new life later, though the overview was strictly of Ecclesiastes. It's a tough book to read, that's for sure, but fascinating.

I like your idea of having two or three goals in mind. Very ingenius. I am still trying to figure out how this whole "teaching" thing works :)

I detest Left Behind ;). In fact, I had a conversation on Left Behind this morning at church.

Mike said...

Just remember that "teaching" doen't have to be "preaching"

Fiona said...

I agree with Mike ;)

Congrats to your best friend :)

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...