Friday, February 22, 2008

of withdrawal and verbatim

Karen and I went to Barnes & Nobles after work to do some homework. I wrote a 12-page paper and she studied for some upcoming tests. She graduates in May with her bachelors in psychology, and she’s applying for entrance into the Master’s program for counseling at C.C.U. (she would start fall of next semester). It’s a little strange for me to be dating someone so close to graduating. But it’s a good strange. Anyways, while we were at Barnes & Nobles, I had a very good story idea. I explained it to her, and she really liked it. I took some shorthand notes and typed them out and saved them to my computer (my time is dedicated to Dwellers of the Night right now). Karen has read some of my work and likes it. She said, “You’re a writer, that’s for sure.” I liked that. She’s right. Writing is a lifeblood for me; when I go for long periods of time without writing, it feels as if I’m going through withdrawal. 

We went to her place for a little bit afterwards. Her mom and dad like me. Her dad didn’t like her other boyfriends, but he likes me. He says I’m kind and gentle. Karen and I sat in her living room and talked with her dad for a little while. He is a lot like my dad: overprotective, a little anal about the weirdest things, stuff like that. It cracks me up to watch Karen and her dad interact: it’s like watching Amanda and my dad interact, almost verbatim.

I won’t see Karen till sometime Sunday afternoon. I’m going to her house before working 6-9:00 in the Hilltop Sunday evening. I would be with her tonight, but she is at a youth sponsor’s annual meeting and it lasts several hours. Sarah was going to come up tonight and hang out for a little while, but the roads were too icy: lots of the country roads have turned to sheets of ice due to the ice-storm last night and the freezing cold tonight. The ice from yesterday melted today, then froze over once more. So I’m not going anywhere. But that’s okay. Tomorrow I’ll be spending the night at Ashlie’s apartment with her and Hank (one of my best friends). I’m expecting good times. It should be a good weekend. And I want to write a lot on Chapter Five of Dwellers of the Night. *sigh* I miss Karen. I’ve spent a lot of time with her over the last week, and it’s sad I won’t see her for about 48 hours. Oh well. I guess I’ll survive.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...