Monday, February 18, 2008

the week I started dating Karen

Karen & me, from Cox Arboretum
Monday. This evening I went to Brandy's. Artie, Lindsey's ex, was there. We hung out, played some games, laughed our asses off. Artie left, and Brandy & I went out onto her balcony apartment to smoke and talk. The snow fell really hard. We talked about our dreams and desires and pondered when we first met, Corinthians class last semester. I got back to campus right as it started to sleet. Earlier Trista and I went shopping and I got three silly Hawaiian t-shirts. Trista said, "I bet Courtney and Kyle are having sex." Yeah, that made me feel great.

Tuesday. The snow came down in torrents all day and we had a 2-hour delay. Valentine's Day is Thursday. That's depressing. I worked 1-4 at the Hilltop, had Biology with Monica and Rob from 6-9, and then spent the rest of the night working on The Procyon Strain and going on cold late-night drives down Route 50. Probably not a good idea with all the snow, but I can only smoke off-campus. And I like to smoke on my "writing breaks."

Wednesday. I worked 4-7:30 with Karen R. and Isaac. Good times. I locked my keys in my car, and Marshall, the security guard, bailed me out. I got him a free drink at the Hilltop. Karen K., who works at the Hilltop, went to The Anchor Grill with me for cigarettes and good conversation. We were there from 8:00 to 10:30. She won free tickets to a hotel room in Las Vegas and we may be going together over Spring Break.

Valentine's Day. Karen and I chatted over AIM and via tezxts till 3:00 in the morning. I'm 90% sure she's interested in me. She told me I was sweet, and that she feels safe and comfortable with me, things like that. I don't know if the feeling's reciprocal. She seems cool, though... Karen and I went to Mount Echo. It was cold and windy. We stood at the overlook and watched the city quiet in the morning mist, cigarettes between our fingers. She worked from 12-2:00, and when she got off we went to Eden Park, followed by a joyride through the hills of northern Kentucky and another pit-stop for dinner at The Anchor Grill. We headed off to Knob Park to talk. We both played dumb. Soon we were holding hands, then we were kissing, then we were just holding one another quietly... At least until a police car pulled up and the officer scolded us for being on private property. We smoked on our way back to campus. She's a commuter, so I called her to make sure she got home okay. She said, "You gave me hickies," to which I replied, "I'm sorry, and if it's any consolation, I enjoyed giving them to you."

Friday. I grabbed Chinese for lunch. Karen got her Celtic clover tattoo touched up, and I went with her. My tire blew out on Glenway, so I had to nab the spare. Karen picked me up at 7:30 and we went to a business complex in Blue Ash to pick up her Vegas tickets. We pretended to be engaged to get them. We went to The Anchor Grill, followed by a trip to the Cincy overlook Trista showed me last year, over in Mount Adams. Karen asked me to be her boyfriend and I agreed. Some kids surprised us so we laughed and left. Driving took us to a turnoff at Mount Aries, and we were busted by a cop yet again. Two nights in a row! I didn't head home from her place till about 4:00 in the morning, and I saw a poor woman sobbing on the side of the road. Compassion overwhelmed me so I gave her a ride, and then got robbed. They stole my money, my lighter, and even my cigarettes.

Saturday. Karen came up and met the family. Mom fixed dinner, and we went to Dairy Queen for ice cream. At Barnes & Noble I got two Cormac McCarthy books. We built a fireplace in the heart and laid in front of it, talking and cuddling. It was magical.

Sunday. Karen & I went to Cox Arboretum and walked around, a beautiful day. We went to her place just as some storms rolled through. We watched "Legends of the Fall" and I met her parents. They both really like me.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...