Wednesday, September 07, 2011

the tenth week

The last week has been pretty good. With summer ending, schools starting back up, and peoples' lives getting busier, things have been much quieter around the house. I can easily feel overwhelmed when there's people around me, so this brief sabbatical from all the craziness has been well-received. Here's the re:cap...

Monday. Before work I ran some errands and had breakfast--coffee and cottage cheese--at The Anchor while doing some writing. Work has been crazy for the last couple days: two people were let go, one person threatened to quit, and at times it feels like we're just waiting to see what happens next. A girl from Nicholson's Irish Pub across the alley came in all decked out in her garb, and she was spunky and I flirted with her, and she told me I should come out to the Pub after work for some drinks. "That was weird," Amos said. "She really wanted your penis." Dad was in town for a Red's Game, so I met up with him on Fountain Square after work. Spent the evening hanging out with Mandy and Isaac. Rob did some roasting, and I did some writing, and Brandy came over 'round 11:00. She brought me a rubber band ball, and thus my turmoil has reached an end. Amanda, Nick, and Mandy went to The Blind Lemon and came home drunk off twists. I can't wait to start hitting that place up once autumn comes.


Tuesday. Today I spent a solid hour running between gas stations searching for a working air pump (back left tire, 'twas a bit low). Have to love the ghetto. Went out into the backyard to smoke and enjoy the morning, and in a span of five minutes got chigger bites up and down my thighs and something on my ankle that's swollen and pussy. After my 11-6:00 I took a meandering drive around town, and then spent the evening hanging out with Brandy and Ams. The Gambills came over, and Matt was drunk and our time cut short because John was in a foul mood. We had some front porch tobacco times--"Welcome to the Cancer Ward!"--and then went to bed.


Wednesday. I covered Jon's Food Prep shift so he could have the morning off. Left early around 1:30 to run halfway up to Dayton to pick up my contacts. When I got back I passed out till 5:30. Woke up craving Thai, so I had some seafood Pad Thai from a local place, and Dan Dyke--an old and favorite professor of mine--came by for a little while.


Thursday. Had coffee at The Anchor while writing. Amos and I had a super-quick close and were out of there by 5:50. Mandy and I hung out when I got home, and Amos and I enjoyed front porch times, and I had a salad for dinner while watching Frisky Dingo. Spent the night catching up with some people from Spring Valley, and I smoked a cigar on the front porch and called it a night.


Friday. Jon had a family emergency in New York, so I worked his 7:30-3:00. Kassie, who used to be at 600 but then moved to Carew, covered my closing shift. It was good working with her again. I went up to Dayton after work, the drive itself a clusterfuck of traffic and raging heat. Almost 100 degrees, stop-and-go bumper-to-bumper, and a car with no AC (but thank God for that sunroof). I felt so miserable, physically sick. When I got to Mom and Dad's I threw in some laundry, hung out with Mom in her makeshift gazebo out back, and then had beers and wings with them at a pub in Centerville. Before heading back to Cincinnati I went by Spring Valley to see Carly and Leah, and then did some journaling on the patio. Carly said she may be moving down to Cincinnati much earlier than expected, like two weeks. I returned to Cincinnati and spent the evening hanging out with Amos, T.J., and Rob & Mandy. 


Saturday. Went to The Anchor for coffee and orange juice, did some journaling. Rob, Isaac and I made coffee at the house. I spent the afternoon and evening writing. 35 bad-ass pages. Rob and I made some Ethiopian hirar--"It tastes like there're blueberries in this shit!"--and then we took it to the front porch and debated on whether time is a measure of physics or a dimensional plane within physics (which led, as it always does, to talking about string theory). Essentially a bunch of geeks drinking coffee. Ams came home and we hung out for a while, and we built our dream homes on an internet program. Pretty cool. Huge storms came through, the house cringing in the wind, rain slashing at the windowpanes.


Sunday. Didn't fall asleep till about 5:00. A shit-ton of good coffee (Ethiopian hirar) and an anxiety attack (jumping heart, tightness in chest, the illusory feeling that I couldn't get a full breath) will do that to you. Sadly by the time I woke up I'd missed Isaac's Gospel Reading at Refuge Coffee Bar. Tyler came down around 12:30, and we went to Kroger with Rob and had Chipotle for dinner. Ams went to Dayton and Pat D. hopped over from Ft. Thomas, and we watched nostalgic videos from our "Glory Days" with Chris, Lee, Ashlie, and Hank. Days that promised to never reduced to a handful of journals and attempts to stitch it all together in our minds. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...