Monday, October 17, 2011

the 16th week

This past week's been rather uneventful. We've instituted a new rule at the house regarding who's allowed to come over and how many people are allowed over at the same time. What happened was that (a) the house was constantly flooded with people, and with six people already living here, it can get pretty crowded (despite it being a big house), and (b) we had one or two people who would come over just to crash on our sofas or use our utilities, and essentially these people became quite entitled to that, and all the housemates agreed that 1. we didn't like the house being constantly flooded with people, and 2. we certainly didn't appreciate people using our things without asking and expecting us (the "hosts") to clean up their messes. This rule has been in effect for a few weeks now, and I love it. We have a quiet house now, and that's something I appreciate.


MEMORIAL DAY. Work went by pretty slow, it being a government holiday and all, and I even got out a bit early. I ran by the Marathon on 8th Street for gas and then took an accidental nap. And, yes, by accidental I mean entirely-on-purpose. Spent the evening talking with this cool girl in Wisconsin and watching "Lie to Me." We talked about me going up there come December, and lying in bed (where I do most of my "deep" thinking), all I could think was, Is this really happening? It's still surreal, unbelievable, and I love it.


Tuesday. Last night Rob told Ams, "I think Anthony really likes this girl." He nailed it. Went to The Anchor before work, and after work I enjoyed a Greek salad with some "Lie to Me." Mandy K. called us "us" for the first time today, and it warmed my heart. We're doing good, we're both excited about the future, and part of me is still scared that this is a dream from which I'll wake back to the sterile coldness of reality. But I'm refusing to let cynicism have the last word, and I'm daring to believe that this isn't a dream, that this is real.


Wednesday. Had the privilege of waking the Wisconsinite for work over the phone. I worked 9:30-6:00 and it was INSANE. Understaffed, super busy, wholly exhausting. Amos and I played some video games to unwind when we got back to the house. Rob came over with Alex and Cassie to do their training--brew methods!--and I took some of the dark roast Mexican and paired it with a pipe on the front porch. 


Thursday. The day started off well: 6 A.M. breakfast with Isaac at The Anchor, lots of good conversation about random things: messianic dispensations, the God of the O.T. "versus" the God of the N.T., the portrayal of the human condition in the O.T., and different hypotheses regarding the nature of hell. Work went well, but was exhausting. I drove Amos to Game Stop after work so he could grab some games, and then I crashed back at the house and watched TV for a couple hours. The highlight of the day? Not The Anchor but getting to talk with the Wisconsinite for a solid two hours.


Friday. Cat was sick, so she didn't come in. It was kinda crazy, but Khristian, Tiffany and I held it together. Tiffany's a newbie (I'm no longer the newest employee!), is great, and her husband Eric runs the Hilltop. Connections, connections! I hate running to the bank on Fridays so I didn't. I used tip money for gas and went home to call Mandy K. on her way to "the town." It was great talking to her, but I'm not surprised. I spent my Friday night hanging out with the housemates, and then I listened to some music--Local Natives--and watched some TV. I enjoy these quiet nights.

Saturday. I got a book on coffee and a wondrous letter from Wisconsin. It warmed my koala heart, it really did. I say that a lot about this girl, I'm finding. Perhaps Australia isn't where my heart's to be found? I ran by the bank, and then Rob, Mandy and I grabbed Dumesh Indian Buffet. "Do you want to get married to someone less crazy than me?" Mandy asked as we were scooping food onto our plates. "Preferably," I replied. She cracks me up. I spent the afternoon hanging out with Rob with some chemex Brazilian. When he and Mandy joined Andy at the Beer Sellar, Amos and I had some front porch times. 


Sunday. I woke early and went to The Anchor for writing, then went to Mount Echo to spend some time in prayer and read 1 Peter. I was craving Dumesh but couldn't find anyone to go with, and although I was willing to go alone, I knew I'd be too awkward (by virtue of trying NOT to be awkward) for the comfort of the establishment. So I got Subway instead and ate it while watching more "Lie to Me." Really digging it right now. I spent the majority of the afternoon writing and enjoying the beautiful weather while sitting on the front porch. Amanda and I had a late-night dinner at the Chinese buffet on Glenway. "I was this close to demanding half-price if they didn't have crab rangoon." 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...