Monday, October 03, 2011

the 14th week

This week has not been kind. Really, no week is "kind", but because the unkindness fell on all those in my own social sphere, in my own little microcosmic world, the unkindness of it all seems exacerbated. Behold the egocentric nature of my heart. And you're no different. *cough* Okay, this week's re:cap.

Monday. The weekend flashed right by. It rained all night and I dreamt of Jessica, dreams I cannot remember. Khristian was sick, so I went in an hour early. 10-6:00, closing with Cat-herine (alias: "Cat"). Kyle covered Khristian's morning shift, and Amos covered Kyle's evening shift at Carew. Confused? Me too. Cat pulled a double to keep the store together, and thus was in an understandably worn out mood. After work Rob and I drank some beers on the front porch. Blake, Amos, and Ams headed out to a soccer game, and on the way Ams got in a car wreck (the incoming car was being stupid; "F*cking Price Hill," a household slogan). The insurance is covering it, and she's getting a rental until it's fixed. Brandy came over and we carved pumpkins, and I'm going to cook the seeds. Mandy K. and I talked for a while, and all in all (minus the accident), it was a good day. But bringing it down was a death in the family. 

Tuesday. Cat had the day off to recuperate from her double, so Bob covered the first half of her shift, and I covered the second. The lunch rush was all but nonexistent, but the afternoon picked up (like always). Mitch from Rock Bottom came over with 12 more growlers. We gave him an iced coffee on the house. A decent hospitable gift-giving. Back at the house Amos, Ams and I shot zombies, and Mandy made a vegetable casserole and let me have some as my dinner. She and Ams went over to T.J.s, and "the guys" hung out in "the town" with beers, hookah, "Frisky Dingo," and a welcome visit with Kyle from work.

Wednesday. Worked 7:30-3:00, an easy day. Ran a bunch of errands, which included getting my own car insurance and a new phone-plan. Growing up! I hate it. But I'm 24, so I've been cushioned long enough. Sarah, Mandy and I went to a bible study for college students at U.C.C. We split into groups and the three of us stuck together. Mandy, I swear, she's hilarious. So socially awkward it's not even funny, literally had me in tears from holding back bursts of laughter. I was shocked at how much misinformation abounds, how many "Christian illusions" are embraced (maybe not "illusions," per se, but flawed perspectives). It was weird to know more than the facilitator, and all these kids, they looked so young. And they're in college! In a group of college kids, I was the "adult". So strange and terrifying. The leader, Anthony Jones (whom we all went to school with) wants us there to participate as "guides", in a sense; on the same level as them, but helping to steer the discussions appropriately, if that makes any sense? It sucks, though, because I want to go somewhere where I'll be energized, challenged, etc., I just want to be part of a church rather than someone taking an authoritative role, and it sucks because that's hard to find. "Let's give this another shot," Mandy said.

Thursday. Hit up The Anchor for breakfast and to write. Life's been so chaotic lately that I haven't had a chance this week. The Anchor's like my "me" time, my time to drink coffee and write and not be bothered (though I do enjoy bringing other people into the ritual, as has happened multiple times), and being there again this morning, I felt recharged afterwards. Ams borrowed my car for work, so she dropped me off at the Tazz. Work was uneventful and over with quickly. Nothing wrong with that. Storms paraded through tonight, incessant rains flooding the basement. Nothing exciting happened tonight: finished a 42-page chapter in "Dwellers of the Night: 3", hit up the pipe on the front porch, and lit up some zombies with Amos.

Friday. Amanda's luck worsened: her car got broken into last night, and her radio was stolen. "I was parked right across from the president's house and underneath a light pole! F*cking Price Hill." What a bad summer for our cars: two wrecks, transmission troubles, a broken mirror (my own inclusion; really, it's N.B.D.), and then a break-in. And it gets worse: she got a call telling her that her car's actually totaled. So now she'll be out a car for two weeks and has to find a new one. And all because of stupid Price Hill drivers. Worked 7:30-3:00 covering Jon's shift. He was supposed to come back this upcoming Monday, but he called asking for a one-month extension in New York. It's understandable: he has no ties here, and his family's there, too. I ran some errands after work and cleaned my room, and Ams and I went to the Chinese buffet on Glenway. I drove, of course. Her car's totaled. I can't get over it. Her fortune: "It's easier to go down a hill than up it but the view is much better at the top." "Well no f*cking sh*t!" Back home we hung out with T.J., and Rob pounded the Rock Bottom growlers and was feeling pretty good come midnight. We played on the Wii and talked about how we go way back; hell, I knew him before Mandy did and witnessed the psychotic Jessica Yarnell period. 

Saturday. Last week was long: here's to an enjoyable weekend (despite no camping with Mom's side of the family; what with all the rain and Bruce's death and Amanda K. is sick, it was cancelled). I slept in and showered and went by the bank and then to The Anchor to write. Rob and I met up with Mandy, Sarah, and T.J. at Dumesh, an Indian buffet, and it was amazing. I'm so thankful for all the great friends I have here, people I love like my own family. Tyler came down, and we played video games and crowded upstairs like we'd do in the winter and hung out with T.J., Mandy, Blake, Ams, and Amos. Rob was there, too. Such a good night. 

Sunday. Tyler and I went to The Anchor for breakfast--coffee, orange juice, eggs and toast for only $5!--and he called Dylan in Africa, and my heart blossomed at the sound of his voice and his cacophonous laughter. It was marvelous. Back home we hung out with Blake and Ams, and then Tyler left and I went to the grocery for rice and beans, did some writing. Rob made some Mexican chiapis, and I spent the evening hanging out with Mandy and Ams upstairs. Ams read through what I have so far on my zombie serial, and she really likes it. 100 pages in one sitting, and she's left wanting more. It's encouraging. I spent the rest of the night hanging out with Old Man Hudson and shooting zombies.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...