Monday, December 12, 2011

the 24th week

Monday. So much rain! Route 50 was flooded by the time I got home, cars tire-deep in rainwater collecting in the dips and depressions. At the intersection of Grand and Glenway, choking white smoke blinded cars, and it was a Grade-A hot mess. Andy and the girls made puppy chow as a welcome home gift for Blake and Amos, who got in around midnight. My dinner: oatmeal with brown sugar and cinnamon, honey, a splash of milk, and glazed walnuts, almonds, cranberries and raisins thrown in for good measure (their the "sprinkles" of the oatmeal world). Mandy, Ams, and Rob put up the house Christmas tree. I took pictures and hung a few ornaments, nothing worth including myself in the effort. The tree looks great, very cheery. I made Mandy hit the floor laughing because of a fake outburst of excitement in lieu of her authentic burst of excitement. When Blake and Amos came home, with Isaac on their heels, we crowded in Blake's room and they sported off their tattoos: Amos got a "Mother" tattoo inspired by pirate Smee, Blake got a compass, and Isaac got work done on his covenant sleeve.

Tuesday. I hit up The Anchor for breakfast and worked a long close with Amos. Things are getting crazy with the holiday right around the corner. We trained on manual tamping, something I haven't done since the Hilltop days. So many memories from the Hilltop, it feels so ancient. Memories like when Mandy covered my early shift so I could try and nurse a hangover, and then working her shift while still completely drunk. It was a wretched mess. When Amos and I got home, we hung out with Brandy Rae, and when she left, we shot zombies. Ams and Mandy went to Dayton to have dinner with Mom & Dad, so it was a quiet night, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Wednesday. The flags outside 600 were at half-staff, and it was confusing the hell outta me, and then I remembered Pearl Harbor. It's the anniversary. I gave Mandy a ride to class and she gave me lots of great music: US Royalty, The Civil Wars, Radical Face, and some others (like the new Black Keys album!). And Rob gave me the entire Led Zeppelin discography. I couldn't be happier. Jake came over for a little in the evening, and come nightfall Mandy, Ams and I raided leftover lemon pie from yesterday, a parting gift from Mom.

Thursday. I went to The Anchor for coffee and O.J. and closed shop with Amos. We hung out with Mandy in the kitchen when we got home, and she made some lemonade pie for Amos. It was tart, but certainly not as tart as last time. Yeah, real exciting day.

Friday. Work was easy, and the house was quiet all night. I went to The Anchor for a little bit late in the evening to break up the monotony. Two calm and quiet nights in a row, certainly nothing to be upset about. Breaking the stereotype of 24-year-old guys, my preferable night remains a calm and quiet one at home. Not that I don't like doing things, of course; but, at the least, I have no qualms with spending a weekend night inside snuggled up on the sofa watching WWII in H.D.

Saturday. I went to The Anchor to do some reading, and then Rob, Andy, Amos and I got Indian. It was extra delicious today. I headed up to Dayton to see Joe for a doctor's appointment (see previous post). I then went and got my hairs snipped and then joined Mom and Dad for a trip to Tipp City to celebrate Grandma B.'s birthday at this candlelit, wine-toting establishment called Harrison's. I snuck to the bar and stole a shot of bourbon. Mom joined me. My entree was bourbon-glazed salmon paired with cornbread. Afterwards we went to Uncle Brian & Aunt Julie's for dessert, and I held Grace. The only infants I've ever held are my cousin's, ha. It was cool, albeit terrifying. Something so fragile in arms so classic. I rolled back into Cincinnati around midnight. The shocks on the Celica are freezing again, so that makes driving fun: it's like a roller coaster!

Sunday. Mandy and I hit up U.C.C. for church followed by a pit-stop at Carew downtown for free coffee courtesy of the dashing Hartman. Rob and Mandy went up to Dayton, and she let me borrow her camera so I went around to various parks (Mount Echo on the westside and Eden Park on the eastside). I spent the afternoon playing with her camera and hanging out with Ams, and soon the house was abandoned as people went to see different people, and I watched episodes of "Bones" with Rob and had some Little Caesar's before forcing myself away from Blake's room to sleep. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...