Monday, December 26, 2011

christmas celebrations

an awkward Christmas picture,
 a family tradition
The Eve of Christmas Eve. Sadly 600 wasn't closed, and I got off work around 4:00. I went back home, and Amos and I putzed around while I waited for Ams to come home from work. When she did we went up north to New Carlisle--dubbed "Bogtown" from here on out, due (obviously) to the countless bogs in the area. We celebrated Christmas with Dad's side of the family, and though Ams and I were too late to miss lunch (by about six hours), we did partake in some amazing waffles and crisp bacon. We did a White Elephant exchange, and that was fun: I came out of it with a wrought-iron turtle, but I've already lost it. When Ams and I got back into Cincinnati, Jessie and Tony were at the house, and it was good to see them. Rob and I smoked pipes on the front porch before we went our separate ways. The mild weather allowed for midnight front porch times.

Christmas Eve. Jessie and I got breakfast at The Anchor, and I changed things up and got biscuits and gravy. We went to Carew afterwards for coffee. Jessie told me, "You're going to find a great girl someday, and you'll make a great husband, I just know it." That warmed my heart, it really did. And the best part was that it wasn't like I was fishing for such a compliment. Back home I did some writing for a bit, and then I headed up to Mom and Dad's for the night. They were gone for a little while so I went on a drive and sat outside the shut-down Spring Valley Starbucks and smoked my pipe and remembered those days. I'm so damned nostalgic, you'd think I had a fetish for it. "You moved forty minutes away and basically got the same kind of job, and you make it sound like some life-changing event." My defense: I love myself and I hate myself. When Ams rolled in we had a delicious homemade dinner--chicken in the crock-pot over steamed wild rice and buttered rolls--and the four of us spent the night together (five, if you include Sky). It was certainly a delightful Christmas at home. There's something about being home that just makes me feel at peace; I remember when I moved home following all the craziness with Sarah G., I felt peace when I lied down in that bed. It's home, I guess. Sleeping in my room only fostered my nostalgic weaknesses, and I fell asleep remembering simpler times that really weren't any simpler. 

Christmas Day. No white Christmas this year, and I was totally cool with that: it's pretty to look at, but a nightmare to drive through. When I woke up I returned to Cincinnati and had eggs and toast for breakfast, and when Ams showed up a couple hours later, we jumped in her car and sped down to Lexington. Everyone was in town, and we had a fully-stocked bar, and I made a few cocktails for people that I remembered from my old drinkin' days, at least until Jesse and I made Aunt Susan a cranberry vodka with about ten ounces of vodka and a splash of cranberry juice. Best part is that she drank it all (after about seven shots prior) and then put another one down. The woman can drink like a trooper, and hold her own more-so than most. "You're so sweet," she said, "I wish I knew someone I could hook you up with!" Ha. Uncle Bill made another non-traditional Christmas dinner: shrimp ravioli, mozzarella-stuffed meatballs, rustic vegetable soup, and broiled chicken with an orange glaze. Ashley brought bourbon fudge, and it tasted too much like bourbon for her, so (of course) I loved it. Bourbon's definitely a weakness. Grandpa got his gift and left without saying bye, but no one was surprised. The last couple hours were spent smoking cigarettes and drinking beer on the front porch with Jesse, Jared, Ashley, and Bill; and then Ams and I returned to Cincinnati where Rob announced our house almost burnt down in an electrical fire. Awesome.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...