Sunday, February 19, 2012

on writing (V)


It's been close to two months since any "writing updates." Things have been busy and chaotic, and I've been feeling quite uninspired in regards to zombies as of late. One might begin fearing that I'm outgrowing them, but rest assured, that's certainly not the case. Honestly my mind has been elsewhere as of late, getting wrapped up in things too high and lofty for a foolish and bumbling creature like me. But sometimes there are more pressing concerns than writing about zombies, no matter how much I may like doing so, and these other pressing concerns (which will be cropping up on this blog soon) deserve my energies far more than a little fictional self-indulgence. Nevertheless, I have been working on my zombie serial in spurts here-&-there, and because I missed church with Brandy and Amos this morning, I had time to finish Act III. 

In regards to Act III, I'm decently content with it as a whole. I feel much better about it than I did with Act II, and I think many of the strengths of Act I--which, in my opinion, vaults it above Act II--are present in Act III. While Act II did have some "action," most of it was the necessary setting-up for a serial novel of this magnitude. With the foundation set, in Act III I launched into the main character's first real zombie encounter, and it's some pretty intense stuff. I'm going to *hopefully* have Ams read over it soon, giving me her criticisms and advice, and then I'll do for Act III what I did with the first two acts: revise, revise, revise. Once Act III is complete, I'm just a few steps from finishing the first book. It'll be exciting when that time comes, and I'm sure I'll find an apt way to celebrate (and if I can't, Andy is always good with such figuring out how to celebrate random and inconsequential things). Now, in regards to writing, here's an email I received not five minutes ago:


Hello Anthony. I read 36 Hours and it was the most gripping book I have read. It knocks the socks off Stephen King and other famous horror writers. George A. Romero would have a field day turning this book into a film.

Receiving these emails are always encouraging, especially when I'm feeling that my writing is quite sub-par. I remember going through 36 Hours and revising it top-to-bottom, wondering if there was really any point to it, thinking that it may be too late to draw from the wreckage of the original something worth acknowledging. I've gotten many emails from  people who have read 36 Hours: The 2nd Edition, and the consensus seems to be the same: people are blown. ("Forgot to say away again...") He goes on to say:


The only part I found confusing was in the chapter '10 AM'. Mark, Austin and Hannah are going down the subway and Mark gets shot by a soldier and dies. In the next chapter, '11 AM', he is still alive. No worries, it doesn't detract from the fact its one of my top all time great books. - Trevor from the United Kingdom

Regarding the mistake: damn it. 
I always do my best to find every single one before going public.
Sometimes you miss stuff. This is why I have Ams read my stuff now.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...