Monday, October 01, 2012

the 66th week

If all goes to plan, these weekly recaps will be ground to powder come the end of October. The house search continues, and the time frame's winnowing down. Andy's decided not to move with Blake and me, is moving back in with his parents to save up money for the next step in his life. It's a commendable decision. Blake and I have been looking for 2-bedroom apartments and houses all over Cincinnati, and we've found a couple decent ones in Norwood. The waiting game's commenced, and now all we can do is hope to hear back. I've got enough money saved up to cover all the expenses, so the financial burden is virtually kaput. The Claypole House has been kind to me, but it'll be refreshing to embrace some change.  Now: the weekly recap of my 66th week at the Claypole House. 

Monday. I woke at 1:55 AM, misread the clock at 6:55 AM, and thinking I was 25 minutes late to work, I bolted out of bed, threw on some clothes, and ran out the front door to my car before realizing it was only two in the morning. 4 1/2 hours later I started my opening shift, and after work I went to Amos' for a bit, and then he came home with me for Blake's birthday party. By the time we got back to Claypole I had a splitting headache (seeing as I hadn't had any coffee that day, and, yes, I work at a coffee shop), so I retired to my bedroom, popped some pills, and slept for an hour. The last edges of the headache were swept away with a quesadilla and birthday festivities. I didn't know most of Blake's friends, so I kept with Ams and Brandy. The people thinned out, and the usual Monday Night Crew--Blake, Amos, Ams, Andy, me, and John & Brandy--crowded Blake's room to round out the night.

Tuesday. I spent the rainy afternoon after work sitting on the front porch reading historical fiction, and I went to The Anchor and did a good amount of writing. I spent the evening hanging out with Isaac and Andy and treated myself to Chipotle for dinner and pumpkin donuts for dessert.

Wednesday. I didn't go into work till 11, so I got some breakfast burritos for breakfast and did some reading at The Anchor before work. I went straight to Amos' once we closed the store, and then I went back to The Anchor to finish out my reading regarding Burgoyne's northern campaign in the American Revolution: his drive at Albany, the conquering of Ticonderoga, his defeats at Bennington and Bemis Heights, and his surrender at Saratoga. I love American Revolutionary history paired with coffee, toast and eggs. The quiet, cold night was spent reading on the front porch, listening to the crickets and the distant thunder.

Thursday. I worked an enjoyable 7:30-2:00 with James, Sarah, and Tiffany, and after work I finally bought the new Mumford & Sons and Edward Sharpe albums. They're phenomenal. I did dinner at The Anchor--a cheeseburger, fries, and cottage cheese with club crackers--and spent the evening on the front porch yet again, listening to Mumford & Sons and reading up on Valley Forge and France's entrance into the war following Gates's victory at Saratoga while drinking Barefoot Moscato from the bottle. I've officially been promoted to Shift Leader/Assistant Store Manager at 600 Vine, and thus the wine was celebratory in nature. I also got to talk to Mandy K. for a bit, and that was good as always.

Friday. I worked 6:30-1:00 and kicked off the weekend with some more Valley Forge and some moscato on the front porch. I went to The Anchor for coffee and started a bible study by N.T. Wright on the pastoral epistles. I ran by Brandon's place up Vine Street and then Andy & I went to Eric & Tiffany's for a fire, pecan tarts, Kenyan coffee and good conversation. Lennon showed me his new Lego sets and all his self-portraits on Tiffany's phone, and Adler kept running around in the dark with her light-up shoes, catching slugs and naming them all "Louisville Slugger." Pat D. came over around 10:00, and Ams joined us and we all hung out in the living room and shared gut-wrenching laughter, as usual. It'd been so long since I'd seen him, weeks upon weeks, it was really good to catch up.

Saturday. I went to The Anchor for coffee and had breakfast burritos for brunch while watching "Land of the Dead." I spent the afternoon reading about the Battle of Monmouth Courthouse before grabbing dinner at Rock Bottom: brewery nachos and chicken quesadillas paired with their Oktoberfest beer. Brandon came over later in the night, and he played with the tacs on our tac-board and we stood outside in the cold smoking cigarettes and talking shop.

Sunday. I went to The Anchor and spent the afternoon reading The Glorious Cause on the front porch. The autumnal weather is perfect for it, but soon my reading will have to move indoors with the onslaught of winter. "I'm going to start calling you 'Anthony the Literist," our neighbor and N.T. professor Jamie Smith quipped, "because you're always out there reading on the front porch." Blake returned from a family reunion in Paris, and I took a nap and, after yet another bout at The Anchor, I spent the evening over at the Loth House playing MW3 with Amos and hanging with John & Brandy. John had some awfully skunked "Colonial Times" beer that I've been digging into. "It's so old, it's like it was made to be enjoyed at Valley Forge," I quipped (though the recipe was established in 1799, quite a while after the winter of '77-'78). 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...