Tuesday, October 16, 2012

the 68th week

It's definitely not the prettiest.
Monday. Work was uneventful and rather slow. I hung out with Blake and Amanda for a while after work, then did a spot of writing at The Anchor before jetting over to the Loth House for a party commemorating Amos finally having his own room. This party consisted of moving Brandy's things into Erin's old room and playing video games with Blake, Amos, and Andy. Ams came later in the evening, bearing homemade puppy chow (made with nutella!). I forgot my baggie of deliciousness at the Loth House. Something you should know about me: if you ever want me to hold onto something for you, just don't.

Tuesday. Thoughts of distant things consumed me at work, and after a bout at The Anchor with coffee and N.T. Wright, I spent the evening at Amos' yet again, hanging with a bunch of people who headed over for Missy's birthday party. We grilled hot dogs, enjoyed cake pops, stuffed ourselves on crock-pot dishes, and played Catchphrase. I'm plowing through an old crate of skunked beer representing different ages in American history, left outside for over a year due to John's carelessness. I told Tiffany, "Most parties I go to have beer pong and kegs, lots of drunk people, but Tuesday's party, it was mostly older people, some married folks, a kid was there, and it was much more subdued, and casual, and relaxed, warm and inviting. I like that." She laughed, said, "We're getting old." *SIGH* I do believe those college days are behind me: I used to be able to take fifteen shots of Woodford Reserve and be quite fine, but now I have two beers and feel like I'm going to get sick. Ams jokingly says that I'm just like an old man. She's right.

Wednesday. Work was chaotic: a line of customers to the far doors by 7:30, and 20% higher sales than the past month of morning rushes. After work I listened to some Damien Jurado and went to The Anchor and read up on Greene's "War of Posts" in the Carolinas culminated with the American "victory" at Eutaw Springs (they didn't hold the ground, but the British were whomped). I fixed a delicious chicken quesadilla for dinner. [That was the plan, but someone tossed my tortilla wraps]. So instead I ordered Dusmesh for dinner (shahi korma, samosas, and paneer bhatura), and then Andy & I rounded out the night watching The Avengers. 

Thursday. I did F.P today, covering for Ana. Brandon lamented, "I don't like you doing F.P., we need you on mornings." The top-down hierarchy at T.M. is changing, and we're all waiting to see what happens. With Amos drifting to roasting, the "plan" of the last six months or so is suspended. Alex told me he got some great feedback 'bout my barring. I don't have the prettiest latte art (it's that Michael J. Fox style I've got about me), but my espresso and milk steaming is practically a template. Multiple customers have told me I make the best drinks. (But, honestly, Amos is far better; but he closes and thus doesn't make as many drinks) I unwound with some reading on the front porch before coffee and N.T. Wright at The Anchor. I headed to Ams' after, got snagged in traffic from the Reds game (where they lost the division, or something like that). We played with Roxy, watched "Sherlock," and ordered LaRosa's. It was a good night with my li'l sister.

Friday. I worked 6-1:00 and then did lunch with Dad and Grandpa & Grandma B. who came down to visit me and see where I work. It was good catching up with them, and I'm glad they didn't get lost in downtown Cincinnati (it almost happened). I took an accidental 2-hour nap when I got home, and then I went to The Anchor and drank coffee and let work fade from my mind. I went over to Amos' later in the night: he has the house to himself since John & Brandy went to Nashville with Blake and Missy. We played MW3 till late in the night, and I returned home to an empty house, did some reading, and went to bed.

Saturday. A warm, cloudy, rainy day bench-marked by not one but two trips to The Anchor: the first time to wrap up my Pastoral Epistles study by N.T. Wright, the second to read up on the Siege of Yorktown. Sandwiched between these two monumental events, I took a nap and did lots and lots of reading. Reading, reading, reading. Such seems to define my life as of late. Also, Andy returned home bearing the gift of Chipotle, and we feasted while watching a ridiculous "horror" movie about vampire slayers.

Sunday. I went to The Anchor this morning, and then Andy & I hit up Dusmesh for lunch. We haven't gone together for quite some time, but both of us have made repeated trips on our lonesome. A.J., one of the main waiters, asked Andy, "Did you guys have a fight or something? You never come together anymore." No, just wildly different schedules as of late. We took a plate down to Carew to the enjoyment of Isaac and Amos, who were working; I ran some errands, took an accidental nap, and went to The Anchor yet again for coffee and Revolutionary War history. The evening was spent at Amos', watching football and playing PS3, with Isaac in his usual position stretched out and passed out on the sofa. The rest of the night went pretty well, and I'm looking forward to the next week. That's a surprise in itself.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...