Tuesday, February 12, 2013

the 8th week

Tibbles & a Tiblet
Monday. Eric & I opened the store. Ana put in her two weeks: well, close to that--the 19th will be her last day. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. A blizzard of sorts kept me pinned at home all evening, so I forewent The Anchor to work on my model, watch more Ken Burns (the conquest of Italy, horrors in the South Pacific, and gearing up for the invasion of France), and when Isaac got home we hit up the Happy Hollow before bed.

Tuesday. I slept in till about 9:00, got coffee from UDF, and spent the morning reading in the living room before closing shop with Frank. He & I joined Isaac, Ams, and Amos at Rock Bottom--Pint Night!--and Rebecca joined us later on. No less than four appetizers, nineteen beers, and several shots of liquor all "on the house." We reconvened at Amos' to hang out in the living room late into the night.

Wednesday. Dave & I opened, and after work I cleaned around the apartment and then went to The Anchor to do some writing before Date Night with Mo: moscato, 1889 salad, and chicken glorioso from Bucca di Beppo. "Glorioso" was aptly named, and we had TONS of leftovers (but they spoiled in the car).

Thursday. I covered Ana's F.P. shift and spent the afternoon playing video games. Mo came over, and we went to the Happy Hollow across the street. She passed out on the sofa in the living room and I played Assassin's Creed III: it's set in Boston, 1775! Pretty awesome.

Friday. Eric & I opened, and I went to The Anchor to do some writing and spent the quiet evening playing Assassin's Creed III and watching Ken Burns' The War: Saipan, the push towards Berlin in the east and the liberation of Paris in the west following D-Day.

Saturday. I went to The Anchor and caught up on the U.C.C. Sunday series so I'll be caught up for tomorrow. I met up with Amos at the Loth House and we chowed on Indian at Dusmesh. We headed back to his place to play video games and hang out with John & Brandy. John headed out for a beer tasting with a friend and Amos went to a six-year-old's superhero party with his buddy Todd from Cleveland, and Brandy & I chilled with Clover, who's in a sour mood and stoned on drugs following her "fixin' surgery." Back home the evening was spent hanging out with Mo, Blake & Traci, and Isaac and his brother John: Flight of the Concords, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed III, and moscato paired with McFlurries.

Sunday. I went to The Anchor, picked up McDonald's for breakfast, and then Mo & I high-tailed it to U.C.C. The service was really good, on God's forgiveness (sermon 2 of a 9-week series). Mo wept. We ran into Dan Dyke. He complimented me, I think, by saying that I'm a little version of himself. If I end up like Dan Dyke when I'm his age, I'll be a happy camper. He's brilliant and awesome and an amazing storyteller. Plus he's insane. Or quirky? On the way back to the car after church, Mo said she LOVED the church, she might be addicted. "Is that the kind of church you wanted to work at?" she asked. "It was so awesome. So authentic, no smoke and mirrors, just a bunch of people who don't put on a show because the gospel's good enough on its own." She's excited to be getting back in church, and I am, too. I feared she'd be supportive but not invested, but her blatant enthusiasm tells me otherwise. She couldn't stop going on and on about it. We spent the afternoon hanging out with Blake, Traci, and Isaac. Ams came over, and Isaac fixed omelettes and roasted red potatoes for dinner. We went over across the street to the Happy Hollow for drinks, and some old dude tried to get Mo to play pool with him, but she declined. At least he was polite!

3 comments:

hooskers said...

UCC is a great fucking church. I hardly believe in anything I used to, and I would still go there if I lived there. It's just a good place to get some thinking done. I like to sit up top.

Also, glad you and Mo are back together. I wish I was around for this whole process. It's nice to hear about you being with and interested in a girl that doesn't fucking suck.

I love you.

Dylan said...

Well said Mandy. Miss you Anth.

darker than silence said...

Hooskers! Brandy & I tried calling you like nine times the other night, and then you pocket dialed us and weren't there and we were super sad! Unfortunately Mo and I aren't together anymore, not any fault of hers, she's freaking awesome, there were just some incompatibilities. You know what I'm saying! U.C.C. is pretty great, I always sit in the balcony as well :) It's where all the socially awkward people go, and we don't talk to one another, cause, well, that'd be awkward haha. I miss you!

Dylan, I love you. I tried messaging you on FB the other day. I hope all is going well across the Big Pond!

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...