Monday, February 04, 2013

the 7th week

the happy hollow inn
Monday. Work was difficult knowing I wouldn't be seeing Mo, and Monday night was even lonelier. John & Brandy couldn't stay up late, so they just swung by Park Avenue in replacement of Monday Nights. After they left, the rest of us--Blake, Traci, Amos, Isaac, Ams and I--went to the Happy Hollow. At this rate, it could be our next Cheers. "If you have a group of six or more, the bar turns into your own private party!"

Tuesday. I went to The Anchor before closing with Frank. We were out by 4:10 and joined Isaac, Ams, Amos and Brandon over at Rock Bottom for beers and din-din. I had a Long Island Iced Tea (too much beer hurts my stomach) and their MASSIVE chicken fried chicken. I couldn't finish it. We meandered up Vine Street to Amos' place for an evening of video games with Johnny. "Brandy's in 87 degree Florida right now!" he moaned. But at least the biting chill of last week has receded. We hit the upper fifties today. It felt balmy.

Wednesday. I worked 6:30-8:30, covering a gap in the schedule, and after some time at The Anchor and a trot to the bank, I started on my U.S.S. Constitution model. Ams came over for a bit to do homework, and Isaac and I hit up the Happy Hollow and then watched a documentary on the Lost Fleet off Guadalcanal.

Thursday. Mo and I got back together. We "met up" (read: she parked and we walked across the street) at the Happy Hollow. Yes, we have our differences; yes, we have our concerns; but no, that doesn't mean we should just give up, it doesn't mean I should give up. So we're giving it another shot, putting more effort into the relationship, trying to compromise and sacrifice to make things work. Mo is so awesome, so fucking awesome, and it's incredible that she finds something of worth in a regret-laden, issue-soaked koala like me.

Friday. The roads were slick this morning, three inches of snow falling overnight. I worked 6:30-1:30, and Ams came over in the evening and we grabbed dinner at the Chinese Buffet down the street. It was surprisingly good, what with it being a grotty hole-in-the-wall joint (but I tend to like such places). I went to The Anchor to study the Dutch Empire in the 1600s, and the evening was spent at the Happy Hollow with Blake, Traci, Isaac & Andy. Mo was supposed to come but couldn't make it. We shot rum in honor of the famous pirate Henry Morgan and then headed back to the house where John (Isaac's brother) and his pal Audrey were hanging out. People filtered out, and Isaac & I watched some of Ken Burns' The War, all about WW2. Ken Burns is a beast.

Saturday. More snow fell overnight. I braved the roads yet again for coffee at The Anchor, and Ams & I met up at Dusmesh for lunch. The afternoon was quiet: reading and modeling. Mo came over, and Isaac joined us for drinks at Habits Cafe in Hyde Park. It's also known as Ostrich Cafe.

Sunday. Another snowy day. Mo & I planned on going to church at U.C.C., but morning plans changed when my car wouldn't start. The culprit: the damned subzero temperatures and a shitty battery. It'd been in the Celica since the turn of the century! I replaced it, and it seems to be working now. Mo & I got lunch at Cancun Mexico, and she went to study and I went to The Anchor. Back home Isaac & Ams made a kick-ass panini dinner, and Mo came over and we watched more Ken Burns (the North African campaign, bombing raids over Germany, the invasion of Italy... It's so good!). We also watched some "Bob's Burgers," also and always a classic.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...