Monday, March 04, 2013

the 12th week


Monday. I'm back to working only opens (with the exception of a princess shift tomorrow), and after my 6:30-1:30 shift, I spent the evening doodling at home and hanging out with Blake & Traci. Isaac came over with DeJuan on his heels. Monday Nights was good as always. Andy got quite out of his mind and collapsed repeatedly on the floor, and Clover was fanatical and wouldn't stop trying to wrestle. When Blake arrived at the Loth House, I got so excited to see him that I tripped and fell flat on the floor between the sofas. He broke down laughing outside the door's window. The car ran a lot better today: I think the new cables may have been the solution. "Exhaust's still all messed up, so it sounds like I'm in the Grand Prix whenever I drive under a bridge." Yep, sure does.

Tuesday. I didn't go in until 10:30, so I woke late and grabbed breakfast from McDonald's and watched The West Wing. I was walking into work, distracted by my marvelous new iPhone, when I felt something crunch under my feet. Lo and behold, I'd stomped a tiny dead bird. It's beak was stuck in the rubber sole of my shoe and I had to scrape my shoe against a brick building to unhook the bird. We've got the Wii working again (Amos put it into a coma when he and Isaac engaged in drunk combat). I finished Ken Burns' The War, and after a dinner of grilled chicken, caramelized onions, and a baked potato, I joined Isaac for a trip to the Happy Hollow and we bought one another drinks.

Wednesday. Today was supposed to be Ana's last day (we've been training Sarah, her replacement), but she didn't show up so apparently yesterday was her last day. No call, no show, we didn't find out till a while later that she'd come down with a migraine "or something." I think she just got sick of work and cut out early. And as the ASM, I can't blame her! My evening was spent watching The West Wing, and Ams came over and I fixed us a damned good, made-from-scratch-except-for-the-dough Greek pizza. Raided the salad bar for the ingredients, quite the perk.

Thursday. I worked 6:30-2:30, trained Sarah on salad bar shut down. Amos and I spent the evening together: Call of Duty and South Park. I picked up Wendy's on my way home and finished Season 3 of The West Wing before calling it a day.

Friday. Eric & I opened, a crazy day: the grinder broke, we ran out of small bills, we were slammed, and I had to deal with several assholes. Sarah seemed quite taken aback by the rude customers; I told her usually they weren't this bad, people were just in foul moods today. I headed up to Dayton to house-sit for the parents: Mom's in Georgetown, and Dad's in Haiti on a mission trip. I spent the evening cuddling with Sky and watching The West Wing. Mom tried to hide Girl Scout Cookies but she failed. She'll come home to several empty boxes right where she tried to hide them.

Saturday. Light snow fell for most of the day. I went to the Centerville Starbucks to energize with an iced caramel macchiato (not a real macchiato in the least) and read about The Great Awakening, Old Lights & New Lights, moderates and radicals. I think I'd be an Old Light, such a traditionalist. I ran by the bookstore and spent the evening reading and watching The West Wing. I picked up China Cottage as an early dinner. 

Sunday. Tyler and I were supposed to hang out, but that fell through. I spent almost all day watching The West Wing, and I grabbed Gyro Palace and paired it with feta-stuffed olives from Dorothy Lane Market. I finished Stokebury's A Short History of the American Revolution, focusing almost solely on The War of American Independence and foreign campaigns in the "world war" side of it all (the actual American mainland served only as one of five campaigns in the war, and it was the least important of all of them). 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...