Monday, September 02, 2013

the 38th week

Monday. This week will be hell: we're more understaffed than ever, and stress is at a breaking point. "If I don't quit by the end of the week, then there is indeed a God!" Mandy and I hung out for a while after work, and then I headed to Springdale to help Ams and Lane move into their new apartment. It's pretty nice and quaint. We finished around 9:00, and after an intermission of whiskey and OJ at the Happy Hollow with Corey, Mandy and Kevin, Mom and Dad brought us two new sofas for the living room. All the moving was done by 11:30, and I passed out in no time.

Tuesday. Brandon showed me his new place after work. It's on Main, right on the strip. Ams, Mandy and I got Fusian for dinner (yellowtail roll!) and then we went across the street for drinks at Rock Bottom: Long Island iced teas, bourbon lemonades, and oatmeal stouts. Amos joined us, in quite a volatile mood: he and Bob are in a "fighting match" at the moment. It can't end well. We reconvened at the Loth House for a bit, and I wrapped up my evening with The Elegant Universe. Brandon recommended it: it's all about string theory, and very provocative.

Wednesday. I worked Food Prep and was glad to be home afterwards. I spent the afternoon playing Birds of Steel, and then I headed over to the Loth House to hang out with John and Brandy. Corey and Mandy joined us, and I started feeling sick so I left early.

Thursday. I opened and closed, hung out with Mandy and Ams, and went over to the Loth House. Clover and I wrestled and she got QUITE frisky. Back on Park Avenue, Andy came over and we watched a hilarious cartoon called "Adventure Times."

Friday. I opened and was done with work by 1:00 and thankful for a three-day weekend. Mandy, Ams and I hung out for most of the evening. The Tomeos and I were going to get drinks downtown, but that fell through, so I spent the evening watching Lincoln and writing. 

Saturday. I went to The Anchor to do some writing before heading north to see Dylan one last time before he jets to Washington, D.C. this coming Wednesday. Ams joined us for lunch at Gyro Palace and Westmalle beers on the front porch. We played Mario-Kart for Old Times' sake (I was Baby Bowser, of course, and he was toad). We hugged and parted ways, and a HUGE storm rolled through when I got back to Cincinnati. The wind, the rain, the thunder and lightning, the sirens and flooding: practically a microcosm of Katrina. Ams came over and we spent the rainy night watching Aqua-Teen Hunger Force: a solid way to end the month of August.

Sunday. No U.C.C. today: I couldn't afford the gas. Ams couldn't sleep so she came over bearing McDonald's breakfast and orange juice since she knew (a) I'm broke and (b) I'm always down for breakfast burritos and OJ. We watched Saved! and I finished A Leap into the Dark about the creation of the American republic. Pretty good with LOTS of detail. A political history more than anything else. Around 5:30 we headed to Corey's dad's place in Bright for a grill-out: me and Ams, Corey and Mandy, Andy, T.J., Kevin, and some others. We took shots and drank Angry Orchard cider. When T.J. arrived he took me on a ride through the Indiana countryside on the back of his 1977 motorcycle. The night was filled with laughter and antics and memorable moments. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...