Friday, May 29, 2015

an ode from Zion



YHWH is in the right,
  for I have rebelled against his word.
See, YHWH, how distressed I am;
  my stomach churns,
  my heart is wrung within me,
  because I have been very rebellious.
I am one who has seen affliction
  under the rod of God's wrath;
  he has driven and brought me
  into darkness without any light.
The thought of my homelessness
  is wormwood and gall.
My soul continually thinks of it
  and is bowed down within me.
     (Lamentations 1.18a, 20a; 3.1-2, 19-20)

But this I call to mind,
  and therefore I have hope:
The steadfast love of YHWH never ceases;
  his mercies never come to an end;
  they are new every morning;
  great is your faithfulness.
"The Lord is my portion," says my soul,
  "therefore I will hope in him."
YHWH is good to those who wait for him,
  to the soul that seeks him.
It is good that one should wait quietly
  for the salvation of YHWH.
It is good for one to bear the yoke in youth,
  to sit in silence when the Lord has imposed it,
  to put one's mouth to the dust
  (there may yet be hope)...
For the Lord will not reject forever.
Although he causes grief, he will have
  compassion according to the abundance
  of his steadfast love,
  for he does not eagerly afflict or grieve anyone.
     (Lamentations 3.22-23a, 24-29, 31-33)

Is it not from the Most High
  that good and bad come?
Why should any who draw breath
  complain about the punishment of their sins?
Let us test and examine our ways,
  and return to YHWH.
Let us lift up our hearts as well as our hands
  to God in heaven.
I called on Your name, YHWH,
  from the depths of the pit;
you hear my plea, "Do not close your ear
  to my cry for help, but give me relief!"
You came near when I called on you;
  you said, "Do not fear!"
You have taken up my cause, YHWH,
  you have redeemed my life.
     (Lamentations 3.37-41, 55-58)

Restore us to yourself, YHWH,
  that we may be restored;
  renew our days of old--
  unless you have utterly rejected us,
  and are angry with us beyond measure.
     (Lamentations 5.21-22)

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...