Friday, May 01, 2015

the first of the month

Last month I finished only two books, but no worries: I'm well on my way to accomplishing my New Year's goal of reading at least fifty books this year. Having read 25 in the first four months of the year, I think I can rest easy a little bit. Reading only fiction for a while wore me out; I need to learn something, or I start feeling restless. In addition to N.T. Wright's Jesus and the Victory of God, I've been reading through several histories of World War Two. I'm reading them in tandem with one another, so I haven't been finishing them as fast as usual (though I've read 200 pages in the last two days alone!). In the spirit of the upcoming Star Wars VII, coupled with my blitzkrieging through books on the Second World War (see what I did there?), here are a few beautiful prints from Impale Design:




Since this post has nothing whatsoever to do with the new month and everything to do with reading, here are a few "struggles only book nerds will understand" that I relate to awfully well:

Deciding which book to read next.
(seriously, though: the struggle is something between a headache and a nightmare)

Running out of space for your books.
(there's a reason I turned Amanda's old bunk-bed into a book-shelf)

Being interrupted while reading.
(bless Chloe's soul, but she has no understanding of social cues:
a book in my hands means I'm busy)

Being asked what your favorite book is as if you could pick one.
(I don't have favorites. Some books are just better than others.)

Finding out that someone you like "doesn't read".
(Ashley's dyslexia gives her an out, or we'd have an issue)

Deciding what book to bring on vacation.
(my vacation packing is always scarce on underwear and heavy on literature)

Moving.
(I collect cardboard boxes to make it less of a headache when the time comes)

Running out of money from buying so many books.
(Jessie helped me overcome my addiction years ago, but the urge to buy remains)

1 comment:

Blake said...

I say take no underwear and more books.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...