Thursday, November 30, 2017

Thanksgiving 2017



For the first time in a long while, Ashley and I were able to enjoy Thanksgiving as a family. We had nothing planned except binge-watching the latest (and last) season of Longmire, playing with the girls, and doing a considerable amount of needless napping. On the morning of Black Friday we met up with Jessie H. at the Perkins on Tylersville Road. Perkins really is on the up and up, and they have some incredible dinner options (I told Ashley we’d have to make a Date Night here sometime, just like a couple of old folks). It was great catching up with Jessie and hearing all the good things going on with her and Tony. We’re throwing around the idea of a joint Gatlinburg vacation in 2019, renting a cabin and having a blast down in the Smokies. On our way out Ashley bought the girls prank monster teeth to shock all their aunts and uncles for Thanksgiving festivities.

when you say best friends it means friends forever

The Demerle Thanksgiving took place at our place Friday evening. Ashley’s dad smoked and fried 35 pounds of Turkey and spread it over the kitchen island. Accompaniments included oyster stuffing, gourmet brussels sprouts, sweet potato casseroles, homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, baked macaroni and cheese, and (of course) pies galore. The house was crowded: Ashley’s parents, Dustin & Jessica and Baby Ella (whose gotten superbly big and cuddly), Keith and Rachel and little Evelyn, Nathan, and Ashley and me with Chloe and Zoey. I stuffed myself to the gills and had some time to unwind at Ridgecrest before Matlock Thanksgiving Saturday. Chloe and Zoey had a ball playing with Kennedy, Brantley, and Jackson. Ashley K.’s dad had given Jesse a go-kart, and we tore it up in Jesse’s acreage. Amanda drove Zoey around, and I made Chloe fear for her life as I swerved around trees and flew over dips in the back. She toughened up a bit when it was her turn to drive, and I let her do a few solo circuits. Zoey and Kennedy got along great. When Kennedy broke out her purse to reveal play makeup and combs, Zoey piped, “Know what I got in my purse? Sticks and bugs!” She’s definitely not your standard girl. She was crying when it was time for us to go (I had work), and Chloe told Mandy, “I’m glad you’re my family now.” Here’s Chloe getting ready to drive the go-kart with my supervision:


No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...