Monday, May 31, 2004

the 21st week

Monday. Mom came into my room around 12:30 looking for Time Changers. A huge storm rolled through around 1:30 this morning and knocked out all the power in Waynesville. I sat up in bed and watched The Weather Channel through it all, so exciting! I worked 4-8:00 after school, saw Brian N., the YMCA janitor, Mrs. Garrett, and Don's mom Marie. Ashlie came over for a bit after school and then I drove her home. I've been reading the Left Behind Series. It's interesting but poorly-written.

Tuesday. Mrs. Starkey went crazy on me and Dylan in math class. Chris came over after school, and we went to North Park before D-Group with all the guys. It was me, Lee, Chris (is an official high schooler next week), Jimmy & Corey. Dewenter wasn't there, was hanging out with Courtney and Carly. Two days ago I posted a blog on Kristen. Corey read it, said it was "so passionate." I took Corey to his friend Jason's place, where he's been staying since he got kicked out from his step-dad's. 

Wednesday. The cicadas are shrieking in the trees! Amanda found four spiders in the downstairs bathroom and freaked out. I did my morning workout routine: 100 toe-touches, leg/chest lifts, 100/200 twists, 200 set-ups and 20 push-ups. Usually do cardio mid-day, and at night perhaps 200-300 jumping jacks and some more push-ups. School was super easy, and Chris and I watched Apollo 13 at his house. Jeff came by, excited about our student-led small group this Thursday night (we kinda came up with it and initiated it outside the official 412 circles). He supports it and wants to make it 412 official so it can be broadcast in the bulletin and advertise it. Affiliated with 412, we may be able to use The Garage when it opens! We're naming it U-Turn, and Dewenter's making a logo for it. 

Thursday. A nice thunderstorm came through last night: drenching rains, dancing thunder, crackling thunder. We had our first U-Turn group today, and lots of people showed up. Chris, Lee, Pat D., Ash, Ams, Courtney & Carly, Kristin D., Al G., Bryon & Erica (they're dating now). The message was on Satan and demons and the influence they play on us. People got stuff from it, but there were mixed reviews. Chris & Pat D. hated it. Others really enjoyed it. I think I lectured too much, didn't allow enough room for group participation, and I need to talk slower. We did it in the family room. I'm glad people took stuff from it.

Friday. Dewenter wants to partner up with me for U-Turn. Lee bailed ship. We brainstormed, and next week's Thursday should go pretty well, even better than the last two (the second one yesterday, the first being the dry-run at North Park). We're examining different structures and content, trying to figure out what'll be best. Today was the last full day at school (just exams from here on out). I am officially a Senior now. Another title, albeit a happy one. I can hardly wait for summer: sleeping in, incense, dinos late into the night. Resting weary bones in sparkling rains. Hanging out with friends. Chris came over and Dylan stopped by. Lee a hitched a ride with his friend to renew his temps. Chris & Dylan played a joke on me, got me good. Lee came back, and we picked up Corey and got Wendy's for dinner. We sped to the movie theater to see The Day After Tomorrow, a decent movie. I drove Lee, Corey & Chris to Chris & Lee's 'round 11:00. Corey then decided that I should take him home. Someone hid dog poop in the Jeep [it'd turn out to be Chris] and it stinks.

Saturday. I worked 9-4:00. Ricky worked 10-4:00. Dewenter & Courtney, Tyler, and Mr. Yosick all came through I.G.A. I picked up Ashlie after school and we rearranged my bedroom. She wanted to go to the Dayton Mall but it was too late. We picked up Lee from biking with his dad and drove out to Erica's, then to Bryon's, had a bonfire using gasoline at Bryon's countryside home. His neighbor Kent came out to help us out. He's cool, goes to Grace Baptist, calls me "the dinosaur guy." We had pizza and pop to celebrate the coming advent of summer. We left late, and I dropped Lee off at his place and then headed home with Ashlie & Ams and went to bed.

Sunday. At church Dad lectured Chris on "the Jeep rules". Chris freaked out. I took Ash, Chris, and Ams to McDonald's for lunch, then ate beans and chicken back home for my lunch. We went over to Chris & Lee's and watched Matrix: Revolution, and then Chris & I went to Wal-Mart, where we argued for over an hour about what to buy. He bought some new-car scent for his room and I got a small DiGiorno pizza. We watched Ferris Buehler's Day Off with sunflower seeds and pizza. Chris "lost" his book-bag; what really happened is I threw it out the window and it got ran over by another car. He deserved it and he knows it. I took Ashlie home and then Dylan and I hung out and went back to the Williams' for a night filled with flames, axe deodorant and hair-spray on the back deck. Another big storm rattled through, slept through most of it, dozing in and out of The Usual Suspects. Dewenter decided he doesn't want to help with U-Turn. At least Jeff's got it in the bulletin now!

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...