Monday, May 10, 2004

the 18th week

You may notice that two weeks are missing. I tried journaling a different way and subsequently lost my journal. It's quite a pity. Lots of things happened. Here's a quick recap of the highlights from the 16th and 17th weeks:

(1) Lee finally asked Amanda out. She said Yes.
(2) Spring Break!
(3) I asked Kristen to go to the movies. She said No.
(4) Amanda dumped Lee.
(5) I saw the movie Dawn of the Dead with Chris, Pat D. and Lee. Twice.
(6) I started a book I will not finish: 36 Hours.

And now: the 18th week. 

Colonel Lee!
Monday. I worked 4-8:00 and came home to a dinner of leftover broiled chicken and Raman noodles. I hung out with Chris. He's talking to Ally now. 'Bout time. Pat D. tried to smear my name with her for some reason, and she ended up being afraid of me; but now she thinks I'm hilarious and likes me. I worked on 36 Hours: I'm six hours in, 30 more to go. It's going to be a long, last book! Amanda says I've lost a lot of weight! Mrs. Graber chose me at school for her Gold Coin Recipient. One month and Junior Year is over!

Tuesday. Ashley D. was late for her bus so I gave her a ride to school. She looked so panicked on the corner! Ashlie and I traded lunches at school. She and Lee and Chris came over after. We grabbed some food from my workplace, beloved I.G.A., and Doogie ate an entire loaf of bread. He's a fiend! Chris tore open a cassette tape in the Jeep, threw it out the window; the tape unrolled and the deck almost hit the car behind us. He and Amanda frantically wound it back into the car. Mom fixed us tacos for dinner. Chris got hair in my meat and then farted on my food. I got angry and hurled a pair of binoculars at him, leaving a ghoulish bruise on his thigh. He screamed, seemed on the verge of tears. I also stomped on his toes. Ally told Chris that she wishes she could steal me from Amanda so I'd be her brother. Ashlie heard and shouted, "No! She sounds like me!" She almost vomited at my peeling, raw, bloodied feet; I scratched them to all but the bone because of a bad case of athlete's foot. Chris, Amanda and I drove around Springboro taking pictures and we filmed a funny video. I made a mad dash to Small Group, was half an hour late. I was having so much fun with everyone that I almost forgot! The lesson was on the miracles Jesus performed, his power and compassion. We also talked a lot about angels and demons. Al G. doesn't believe in them. Lee and I talked about starting a small group for guys on Thursday nights.

Wednesday. Lee and I went to 1/2 Price Books after school. A black guy in a tight shirt glared at us because we were in the religious section (he was perusing the witchcraft titles). I bought a Max Lucado anthology on Jesus' death and two movies: The Blair Witch Project and SE7EN. We went back to his place and hung out for a while, and he went to work and Chris was supposed to help move his sister Laura from her dorm room, but she never showed; so Debbie said he could come home with me, and we got McDonald's and watched the movie in the basement. The fast food made me feel sick to my stomach: so many chemicals, you never know what you're actually eating. Ron picked up Chris for his Small Group. I was left home alone and did lots of thinking. See, I applied to Cedarville University, and today Mom came in with my submission: "You're in." My dream university! I prayed to get into this school, knowing full well how difficult it would be. Kendall, who's brilliant, wasn't accepted. And Cedarville sent me an application, without me asking for it, something they hardly do, except for the "wanted" students. Inside was a letter offering me two scholarships and asking me to come to Cedarville. My dream university is asking me to attend. I can major in youth or pastoral studies, a minor in Bible, maybe psychology. A miracle? I have high ambitions. Daydreams. Desires of serving God in different ways, making my mark in the kingdom. I want to begin a house church, and I want to see it swell. I want to become a youth minister or a Senior Minister; and when I'm older, I want to start a worship gathering called Just Another Worship Gathering, and I want to meet deep in the woods, surrounded by creation, and not in a building, but a large canvas tent, and we'll sit on rocks as chairs and revel at the foot-stool of God. We'll even have a foot-stool! But above all I want to be like Jesus. I want to be changed. I want people to see me and be attracted to Jesus. I want to be an example. And I want to lead others to Jesus, I yearn to see the lost knee-deep in the golden springs of God! And it's as if God is paving the way.

Thursday. At school I told Ashlie all about Cedarville and she burst into song, was practically on the verge of tears. Lee and Ashlie came over after school and we threw knives into a poster in my room. We all chilled on the porch and Chris walked over. Amanda serenaded us all on guitar. Forsake Me Not is in trouble because drummer Hank isn't allowed to practice or perform at shows until he gets his grades up. Mom & Dad had their small group tonight, and Erika S. babysat. I wanted us to worship in our room, but no one else did, and everyone laughed but Lee & Amanda. So I crawled to my room and played a solo on my guitar to God. It made me happy, joyful. All of us went outside and we played baseball, lit a fire, had a huge stick fight, and Chris grabbed the hose and started spraying everybody. So I went to the willow tree and grabbed a whip and went to town on him, left welts on his legs. We were all soaked and hurting by the end. I drove Ashlie home and Debbie picked up Chris & Lee. I am blessed with great family, great friends, a great (future) education, a good job to make some money, and God is wonderful.

Friday. I worked 3-8:00 after school. We were hectically busy the entire time. I was the only bagger. My right foot is peeling off, my back aches, and I think all this non-stop exercise may be wearing my body down. I must take a break. Ashlie left her glasses at our house, so I ran them by her house after work. I went by the Williams' to see Chris & Lee. Lee was working but Chris was home, along with Pat D. and Bryon. Lee's dad is a policeman in Centerville, and he caught Luke buying marijuana! When Lee got home there was going to be a party, but since I had to be in 3-8:00 the next day, I went home early. Amanda heard some people at school talking about Forsake Me Not:

Girl: "Who is Forsake Me Not?"
Boy: "Forsake Me Not? They suck."
Girl 2: "What a bad name. Why can't bands have good names anymore?"
Boy: "They suck sooo bad. They're never going to make it."
Girl: "Do they go to this school?"
Boy: "They're all high schoolers." (but Chris, guitarist and singer, isn't)
Girl 2: "Are they hot?"
Girl 3: "No way."

Saturday. I called off work this morning: my feet are bleeding. Aunt Teri & Grandma rolled in around 2:30 A.M. last night. I was asleep and Doogie greeted them. Grandma & I had breakfast at McDonald's, and then we went to K-Mart, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy. I bought a really cool game: Medieval: Total War. It's like Shogun, only better. At 3:00 I picked up Chris, Lee, and Ashlie. We hung out at my place for a bit and then we picked up Pat D. We hung out for most of the evening. Chris & Ashlie walked home, and Pat D., Lee and I went to China Village for dinner. A Chinese woman hovered the whole time, staring us down for at least two minutes straight without looking away as we ate. She finally left, and I said, "I thought she'd never leave." Then she CAME BACK and did the same thing, only longer this time. I couldn't handle it and broke into laughed, blamed it on Lee when she leapt forward to ask what was funny, and the three of us laughed for a solid five minutes straight, hard and choking and gut-wrenching laughs. Mom came into the store and yelled at us for leaving the house. When we were done eating the Chinese woman boxed up our food. We were getting ready to go and she came hurrying towards us. We were uncomfortable and quickly scurried out, forgetting our boxed food! She came out of the restaurant with our boxes and stood there in the entryway as we jetted out of the plaza. We went to Deal's to calm down, and then we went back to their place. Lee & Ashlie spent the night, and we sat downstairs and reminisced on the past: how everyone at church used to make fun of me, how I had no friends, how I was depressed, how we weren't friends and how Amanda didn't like me, how my only friends were Zach and Andrew, and how Andrew back-stabbed me. We talked about how Amanda used to make fun of Ashlie, and Lee made fun of me. And now we're all awesome friends. Chris, Lee, Pat D. and I happened to go to SIGNS together one day long ago, and a friendship blossomed. We talked about how Lee used to smoke pot all the time and get drunk at parties, but he's different now, "mellowed-out", so-to-speak.

Mother's Day. Aunt Teri & Grandma came with us to church, and they were shocked at the Metallica-like worship and thundering dancing. We ate out at Marion's Piazza for Mother's Day, ate out on the patio. Amanda and I got Mom jewelry and brownies. We went to 1/2 Price after and Grandma loaded up. Aunt Teri randomly gave both of us $20. I bought two awesome books on ancient warfare. Aunt Teri & Grandma headed back to Kentucky, and I went to Student Revolution (a.k.a. Rev) set-up. I talked to Chad about my Cedarville University plans and majoring in pastoral studies or youth ministry. Lee was there, too. He wants to be a youth minister, too. Chad is a sponsor, he thought my plan was awesome. Well. I'm tired. School's tomorrow. And I have to go to town with this athlete's foot medicine. It's a spray, somehow feels both painful and pleasurable at the same time. A teasing stinging of sorts. It's so weird, as am I. Good night.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...