Friday, May 02, 2008

minnesota: t-minus 2 weeks

One more week till school is over. 
Two more weeks before I leave for Minnesota. 

I get more and more excited as May 14, the date of my 12-hour excursion west, draws closer. I can’t wait to immerse myself in the advancing of the gospel, to preach The Message, to serve God in such a capacity. Public speaking is one of my greatest joys, and I wish to build my life upon such a foundation. Words cannot express the exhilaration I feel when standing under the scrutiny and judgment of the multitudes. This will be a great time of growth, renewal, renovation. Karen told me last night, “I know that I have been opposed to you heading to Minnesota lately, but I want you to know that I think you should go. I have a feeling that good things will happen in Minnesota.” As do I. 

Yet I cannot ignore the obvious stress a three-and-a-half-month break will bring into our relationship. Distance tests relationships. It is the acid test of sorts. I know that with Courtney, distance taught me how much I liked her; and for her, it taught her how we could not be together. When I head out for Minnesota, I am acknowledging that there can be only two fates with my return to Cincinnati in August. Either Karen and I will be together, or we will not be together. Distance will either show me how much I like her, or it will show me that it is not best for us to be together. This is a hard truth to embrace, and Karen has difficulty embracing it, too; but I am the sort of guy who opens his arms to the bitter, cold-hearted truth. And this is such a truth. This will be a time of testing and trial, and I honestly cannot say how it will turn out (prophecy has never been a strong point, as my countless prophecies run aground).

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...