Sunday, June 15, 2008

gone fishin'

Life has been good, really good. I have a fishing license now, and I’ve been spending lots of time fishing. After work yesterday, I went to Martin Lake for some shore fishing with my friend Mel. We caught some walleye, and we went back to his place. He taught me how to fillet them, and Paul is teaching me tonight how to beer-batter them. When Karen comes up next week, we are going to go fishing, catch some fish, then cook them for supper. She and I are both “closet outdoors people.” We live in Cincinnati, so there’s not a whole lot we can do, but we enjoy camping, fishing, rock-climbing, rappelling, hiking, swimming in creeks, hunting. She called me a few nights ago and informed me, “I just got a 20-gauge shotgun!” Yay. That’s my girl. 

Something I’ve always tried to do is reconcile my love for Christianity and my love for writing. I’ve thrown my love for teaching into the mix, and am currently working on a Bible Study for the general epistle of James. It is my dad’s favorite book of the New Testament, so once I get it complete (it will be a while), I’m going to give him a copy and let him use it. I really want to do Romans and Galatians, but those letters are so rich and complex that it’s nothing to throw yourself into. James is much easier, full of proverbs and wise sayings, lacking in intense, abstract doctrines, unlike Romans and Galatians. Larry and I have been leading a Romans study on Wednesday nights; we’re currently on Romans 6, and let me tell you, that is complicated Pauline literature. I’m still having a difficult time in understanding what Paul is saying, especially in relation to baptism.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...