Sunday, August 31, 2008

a baptism

I went over to Sarah’s apartment last night. It was a pretty good time. We watched several horror movies and talked for hours about our different situations. She is a good friend, and she is in the midst of a horrendous situation. Her boyfriend uses drugs behind her back. He cheats on her constantly. He lies to her about his activities, and he manipulates her into staying with him (he doesn’t have a car so he uses her, and he doesn’t hold jobs so he needs her to help him pay rent). She said that she would break up with him today. I’m hoping she actually does it and doesn’t buy into his lies all over again. These decisions, while so clear and logical, are often muddled when our emotions crowd the situation. 

I had the privilege of baptizing a friend this morning. Her name is Megan, and she is a freshman at Franklin High School. For the past three years, nearly every Sunday we have sat in the café at the church, drank coffee and chatted about life, God, Jesus, Christianity, spirituality, etc. Two weeks ago, she made the decision to become a disciple of Jesus. After the church gathering this morning, she was baptized. It was beautiful. We read scriptures, hugged, laughed, prayed. The church family surrounded her with encouragement and congratulations. She’s starting her new life in Christ, and I am excited about what the future holds for her. 

Karen and I talked a little bit last night. I’m going to call her later today. I hope that she has decided, with my absence, that she is willing to make the changes in our relationship that need to be made. I hope and pray that we will be back together, but at the same time I acknowledge that such a thing may never happen.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...