Thursday, April 10, 2014

sunset gazing & the Pepper Pod


Mandy H. and I spent the evening hanging out. We sat on the roof of Bakewell looking out into the trees and to the Cincinnati skyline beyond. She and Isaac are heading out to Portland at the end of the month, but not until after making a round-the-way trip up New England and across Canada, then down into Montana. Sight-seeing and camping for three weeks, how can you not love that idea? "You'd better walk the Freedom Trail in Boston!" We both agreed we'll miss Cincinnati when we head out-of-state. The city's definitely a lot nicer now than it was when I moved here in 2005. I'm excited about "country living" in the upcoming stage of my life, but there will be days when I miss all that Cincinnati has to offer, not least The Anchor.

After watching the sunset on the rooftop, we went across town to Newport. There's a little cafe there called The Pepper Pod. It's basically Newport's version of The Anchor, and a long-standing rivalry exists between the two diners. We drank coffee and talked about how different things have become for all of us within less than a year. Our traditional "friend group" broke apart, now we're all too busy to hang out that often, Mandy and Isaac are heading to Portland, and I'm setting off for Wisconsin in the next couple months. I updated her on everything with the Wisconsinite and me, and she couldn't restrain her excitement. She radiated joy knowing how awesome everything is going. "You've loved her for so long, you've wanted only her for so long, and this is what you've wanted!" There are still days I'm blown away by it all, how lucky and blessed and privileged I am to be with the Wisconsinite. This kind of excitement is better shared, and I enjoyed sharing it over coffee and conversation. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...