Friday, April 25, 2014

4.25.14

I'm looking forward to starry Wisconsin nights.

I've started watching the HBO series "John Adams", and I'm loving it. The United States as we know it today was created not as a democracy but as a republic. A republic protects the minority groups with a constitution or Bill of Rights, whereas a democracy gives all its power to the people, which means that minority groups will have no protection against the desires of the majority. Classical Rome was a republic, and ancient Greece was a democracy. Some speculate that the United States has become an oligarchy or plutocracy within the constraints of a republican system, and I think they may be onto something.

Yesterday afternoon I took Ben and Jason thrifting.
I went primarily to find some cheap oil lanterns.
Instead I walked out with a nice pair of boots suitable to lots of snow.
(I'm gearing up for Wisconsin)

Mandy's vacationing in Mexico. She's lucky I'm not there, or we'd be spending an inordinate amount of time visiting relics of the Triple Alliance (the Aztecs). 

I've been trying to eat a lot better.
Fruits, vegetables, rice, lean meats.
I've even been running and getting back into weight training.
My body feels so much better. Processed foods and GMOs are no bueno.

I wish I had more to write about.
I've been working a lot and sleeping even less.
I miss talking with the Wisconsinite every night.
September can't come fast enough!

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...