Tuesday, February 17, 2015

the 65th week


Monday. When I walked into The Anchor, I froze in the dining area. Who was in the corner booth other than Brandon from the Tazza Mia days? We looked at each other for the longest time, and I exclaimed, "Holy shit!" I put writing on hold and joined him at his table. We smoked cigarettes, caught up on each other's lives, and ate breakfast. He told me Tazza Mia is pretty much gone. He doesn't work there anymore, and Eric took another job running a cafe in Green Hills. Brandon and I went back to his place, and we hung out for a while and played with Oliver (his fat cat). I went back by The Anchor to make up for lost time and to do some writing before heading up to Fairfield. I met up with Ash and the girls at Ams' place, and once we got back to Ashley's and had the girls in bed, we cuddled on the sofa and talked until I headed home.

Tuesday. I went to The Anchor to write before heading up to see Ashley and Zoey before my 2-10:00 shift. Lisa was in a car accident and can't work this week (don't worry: she's okay!), so I stayed two hours later until Myles showed up to work the rest of Lisa's shift. I headed home and listened to Douglas Wilson's sermon on Joy & Affliction. I'm really loving this sermon series. Sometimes I wish I were Reformed; too bad you can't decide what you believe and what you don't. But you know what? I'm okay with being the oddball Christian who dabbles in all sorts of things, lives a little awkwardly, but who loves Jesus and tries to obey him and reflect his love and compassion (and failing at it religiously; see what I did there?). 

Wednesday. I went to The Anchor to read N.T. Wright's The Last Word before a two-hour training session at the W.O.J. headquarters in Norwood. I jetted home and cleaned the Hobbit Hole before my 3-7:00 in Blue Ash, ferrying Jason to and from ballroom dancing. Once I got home, I lit some oil lanterns, read some of my 1599 Geneva Bible, and then snuggled warm into my bed to fall asleep by 9:00. #ragingtwenties

ThursdayI woke at 6 AM to go read at The Anchor before my 8:30-4:00 shift with the guys. A light snow fell all morning, layering the roads and trees, but all of it melted when the sun came out around noon. I took the guys with me as I ran some errands, and after work I headed up to West Chester to spend the evening with Ashley and the girls. Ams came over, too. I headed across town for a bit to hang out with Tyler, and I went back to West Chester, and once Ashley got the girls in bed, we stayed up late devouring Menchi's frozen yogurt and watching David Ayer's Fury. She likes World War II movies almost as much as I do.

FridayI went to The Anchor for coffee and reading; I finished Wright's The Last Word and picked up where I left off in Alan Weisman's The World Without Us. I relaxed in the Hobbit Hole before heading up to West Chester. Ashley and I picked up Subway for lunch and started watching the Fargo miniseries. Ams came over for a little bit, and I left them to head over to Blue Ash for an overnight I picked up. Ashley, Ams, and the girls headed down to my apartment to work on my Valentine's Day gift (it's gonna be a surprise!). I left Ashley's Valentine's gift in my apartment for her to find, and she called me with tears in her eyes, thanking me for the flowers, the Reese's cups, and the card. She didn't mind the fact that all the flowers had wilted; I left them in my car overnight last night, and they froze and died. #classic

Valentine's Day. Ben woke me up with a Valentine's Day surprise: burnt french toast! I ate one and a half pieces and gave him the rest, which he happily devoured. He made us coffee and we mixed them with a hot cocoa mix. Wendell relieved me at 9 AM, and I headed down to Covington and walked into my attic to a marvelous Valentine's Day surprise: my apartment was clean, and Ashley and the girls had cut out little pink hearts and wrote messages on them, taping them around my apartment. I headed up to Ashley's, and Amanda joined us. I started work in Blue Ash at 5:00. Ben and I got Subway and watched James Bond movies.

Sunday. I worked a longer morning shift covering for Jason, and after a pit-stop at the Waffle House for late morning coffee, I headed over to Ashley's. We spent the day hanging out with the girls and watching TV. Amanda came over, and at 9 PM we watched The Walking Dead. I've liked the way the episodes have been developing; next week's episode should be bad-ass. I rounded out the night with reading by lamplight in the Hobbit Hole. I finished Weisman's The World Without Us and started Three Views on Creation & Evolution. The subject matter is interesting, but the method of creation has never bothered me.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...