Monday, February 02, 2015

the 63rd week

left to right: Ashley, Chloe, and me. As zombies, of course.
Monday. A couple inches of snow fell overnight, but the roads were clean for my drive to The Anchor. After standing out in the cold for fifteen minutes trying to figure out how to use my shitty scraper, wrapping my hands around a steaming cup of coffee and smoking a smoldering cigarette felt phenomenal. Ashley and I ran to downtown Hamilton (such a depressing place), and I kept Zoey company to the soundtrack of 28 Days Later. Ashley and I spent the afternoon watching The West Wing and intermittently napping as the internet flickered on and off. When Chloe came home from school, we worked on gathering facts about Amelia Earhart for a school project. She accompanied on a mission to Wal-Greens for corn and peas, and Ashley and I made chicken & dumplings for dinner. I headed back to the Hobbit Hole to watch The Medicine Man with oil lanterns glowing.

Tuesday. Ashley had some pretty bad nightmares last night, and it threw her in a funk. It's funny how nightmares can seem so silly after the fact, but even the dumbest ones can throw a pall over an entire day. After a morning playing with Zoey, Ashley and I watched some West Wing. Well, I did: she fell asleep on my chest and drooled all over me. "So sexy," I mused. After my shift in Blue Ash I headed down to the Dairy Farm. Andy was the only one awake, and he fixed a fire and we talked conspiracy theories. Amos rolled out and Blake showed up, and Andy made a chemex of some coffee Rob sent Blake from Nossa Familia. Phenomenal. Once Ashley put the girls down, she joined us for the evening. I introduced her to Blake: "He didn't graduate college." (but we can compare W2s) I accidentally stole Ashley's debit card and made several purchases with it, since it looks a lot like mine. She didn't seem too upset. Also: she got a kick-ass new haircut, and I love it. "You don't look so much like a Mennonite anymore," I teased; "Now you're a secular woman!"

Wednesday. I skipped The Anchor this morning and went with coffee from U.D.F. My morning was spent watching Tombstone and napping before my 3-7:00 in Blue Ash. Jason and I didn't have Ballroom Dancing, so we just went to U.D.F. and relaxed at the house. When I got off work, I headed home to shoot down some Luftwaffe in Birds of Steel. Ashley and I talked for a while before bed, prayed together, and then I lit some oil lanterns, read scripture, and let sleep carry me away.

Thursday. Ice coated the streets overnight; the drive up to Blue Ash was slippery, and traffic was heavy. I took the guys to Kroger, Speedway, Gorman Heritage Farms, and U.D.F. After work I headed over to West Chester to spend the evening with Ashley and the girls. Chloe discovered the Dead Yourself app on my phone, and she's crazy about taking pictures of people and turning them into zombies. In honor of The Walking Dead starting up on the 8th of February, I'll be adding the best creations as the Weekly Update pictures. I left Ashley's and spent the evening reading in the Hobbit Hole.

Friday. My morning was spent at the Hobbit Hole reading, scripting, and watching The Rock (Nicholas Cage is off-set by Sean Connery). I headed up to West Chester and met Chloe off the bus. Ashley and I fixed the girls dinner followed by a surprise: frozen yogurt from Menchie's! That place is phenomenal, and it's well within our limits for The Warrior diet (I've lost five pounds; Ash has lost ten). I don't think stuffing my yogurt full of chocolate-covered peanuts and cheesecake balls is helpful, though. Once we put the girls down, Ashley and I watched a couple episodes of The West Wing.

The End of January. I went to Waffle House for coffee and reading and then watched the girls so Ashley could go get some work done. When she got back, we put the girls down for a nap and watched episodes of The West Wing before my overnight in Blue Ash. Ben was gone most of the night, so it was just Jason and me. We watched Monsters, Inc. and I hammered out a couple pages of original work in my current writing project. I called Ashley before bed; she and the girls were doing an overnight at Ams' apartment.

The Beginning of February. Neither Ashley nor Ams slept well last night: Zoey hogged all of Ashley's air mattress, and Chloe kept flinging her arms into Amanda. "She's a sleep flailer," Ashley said. I went to The Anchor after my shift in Blue Ash, and I had to poop no less than three times and each time someone walked in on me bent forward over the toilet and grimacing with my pants wrapped around my ankles. The bathroom doors don't lock; it's a preventative measure to cut down on the heroin use. Ashley, the girls, and I attended Christ's Church at Mason. February's sermon series is all about romantic love and sex. I feel that it will be a good series, albeit possibly awkward. I'm enjoying where Ashley and I are at, but I'm not advocating any rash decisions. The church likes to press for quick marriages, but the church also has to deal with a lot of divorce. Maybe the two are connected? Regardless, it was a good message about how Christians have quite a battle against the flesh in a culture that has turned a good thing (sex) into the ultimate thing. When we got back to Ashley's I fixed lunch for the girls, and she did another job after Zoey went down. Chloe and I bonded over video games (she thinks someone hacked one of her math games and stole her coins; "No one's hacking Sum-Dog, Chloe. No one's doing that."). Ams came by for a bit, and when Ashley got back from work we made the girls dinner and hung out before I headed home in a downpour of icy rain. Back at the Hobbit Hole I lit candles and watched the movie Legion. Its theology is about as whacked as that of Westboro Baptist; both are fun to watch.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...