Tuesday, August 06, 2019

the year in books [XV]



As of today, I stand at 125 books read for 2019 (I'm thus 25 shy of my 150-book Reading Challenge on GoodReads). Bernard Cornwell's War of the Wolf is his latest tale in his excellent Anglo-Saxon Series, and an excellent read. Jeff Shaara's Gone for Soldiers is a sort of 'prequel' to his and his father's Civil War series; this book takes place during the Mexican-American War in which many of the infamous Civil War generals got their first taste of combat. C.S. Forester's Mr. Midshipman Hornblower is a series of short stories that serve as a prequel to his infamous Hornblower Saga. It was decent, and Forester is the one who inspired Bernard Cornwell to start writing (but Cornwell, I believe, has surpassed Forester). Clive Cussler's Golden Buddha was decent, but it wasn't even written by Cussler (I have a great distaste for up-and-coming writers who leech onto famous authors to try and get a following). Brian Jacques' Redwall was a blast from the past, as I read it back in my Junior High days, and though Ashfall was decent, I had a hard time keeping up with it. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...