Friday, August 23, 2019

the year in books [XVII]



I've plowed through another slew of American Westerns. Ron Hansen's The Kid was a decent biography of Billy The Kid, though I only give it three stars because the sentence structure can be a bit choppy at times (it's a great book, I'm just not superbly fond of Hansen's style). Charles Portis' True Grit was a fantastic read, five stars all around, and I've added some of his other (non-western) works to my 2020 Reading Qeue. Charles O. Locke's The Hell Bent Kid is an oldie but a goldie, and the last three books are the first three in Loren D. Estleman's Page Murdock Series. They're short, never over two hundred pages, and each page is a delight. Estleman truly is one of the masters of the American Western, and I plan on plowing through the rest of his Page Murdock books next year.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...