Sunday, June 20, 2004

weekend reading

Over the weekend I've had lots of time to ponder life and God and everything in between (though those two are about all there is: life and God, and you can find real life only through God). I

have been thinking a lot about how angels and demons are involved in our world, and have expanded on it with some good books by Billy Graham and Frank Peretti. A lot of us don't give much thought to angels and demons, but we should. I intend to post on them later.

Ecclesiastes is a great book. Written by King Solomon, some think his first book Proverbs completetly contradicts his second, Ecclesiastes, but if you look deep, Ecclesiastes is just an expansion on Proverbs, hitting the ground, black and white realities of life. I have read it more times than I can remember, but am now doing a chapter-by-chapter in-depth sweep of what King Solomon has to say. I recommend reading it. I will probably post on it when I finish it and get it drilled into me. Good stuff, though, worth your time.

I've bought two Dallas Willard books on indirect advice from a friend, Hearing God and The Spirit of the Disciplines. I am trying to find The Divine Conspiracy, but 1/2Price nor Borders ever has it in stock. Study guides are everywhere, though! I read two chapters of Hearing God in kentucky, and it took me close to an hour. Constantly I had to stop and think about what I read, not because it was confusing, but because it was so deep and radical and real. Hearing God urges us to develop a 2-way conversational relationship with God, not the 1-way prayer we all have in mind. I thirst--crave--for such a conversational relationship with the Creator of the Universe.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...