Sunday, June 13, 2004

a weekend update

So I've been here in Kentucky all weekend, and it is getting pretty boring. Most of my family is gone. My cousins are in Richmond (they were supposed to come over today, but never did), my Uncle Bill is working at Perf-a-lawn lawncare, my Aunt is riding around in her Pontiac minivan, Gramps is working with Cotton at the redneck auto shop, and Amanda, Grandma, Mom and I have just been cleaning up my Aunt Teri's house.

I couldn't begin to describe what her house looks like. Imagine a house-under-construction, except with a roof, and boxes and boxes and more boxes--plus some--stashed away in every room. We had to completely empty the upstairs bedrooms, cleaned out the garage, organized the junk room downstairs, and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. It is hard work. I just got back from ferrying furniture between houses; Mom and I loaded it up in a big manual truck, and Mom couldn't figure out how to work it and we shut down in the driveway. It is nerve-wracking to have to ride with her. She could read the fear on my face.

Between back-breaking work, we've had to skip lunches every day (except today) because Teri's house is completely devoid of food (unless stale chips, peanuts and peanut butter in a spoon count). We ate at a nice Mexican restaurant, a beautiful and delicious pizza buffet/gameroom, and today ate breakfast at Hardee's and lunch at a super-Wal-Mart. Yesterday Grandma took us to some downhome-cooking country breakfast that wasn't so great, and the service was terrible. No offense to them. The waitress was obviously trying hard (???).

You probably aren't reading this because you've gotten so bored. I can't blame you. We hope to leave tonight. I think everyone is getting driven mad by the boredom. Now my grandma and mom are watching golf (that's a new one) and Ams is searching for movies to borrow. I'm thinking about snagging the Lethal Weapon movies. Good stuff. Oh. Watched Lethal Weapon 4 and Ransom over the last two days, and bits and pieces of Simply Irrisistable. Oh! And I bought some nice dino figurines to adorn a new shelf Mom dug up in my aunt's garage. Might buy Battlefield Vietnam. Battlefield 1942 is a fav. Who knows.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...