Wednesday, September 15, 2004

6 Months and Counting...

Journal entry, March 16, 2003: "My English teacher says I have great depths of thought. Unexpected snow day in March! Odd. I am hoping some more 'odd' things will happen :-)... I exercised 30 mins, ate a little better - want to lose some weight. Maybe for Peace Corps. Chris, Lee, Pat, Ashlie came over. Boring beyond hope. Chris grabbed Jeep wheel and ran us over a curb [Mom, Dad, he hasn't done that since!] and Lee chased the Jeep down the street and Ashlie's leg got caught in the door and she slipped on the ice on the sidewalk and fell. Small group was average, but better than usual. The lesson was on the characteristics of Jesus. Picked up Kristin D. for small groups, and got lost in her subdivision. Took Ashlie and Amanda to Taco Bell, Lee home, Ashlie home. Very snowy outside. Fans blowing. Tired.

So you see it started off small. I sharply remembering waking up, being bored, and saying to myself, "Why don't we just run and see if we can lose a pound or two." That was the beginning. I honestly didn't think I'd stick with it. Neither did my friends. That's where accountability fell in - my good friend Lee Williams started dieting, too, and we helped each other push along. That was six months ago. Recently my good friends Pat Dewenter and Chris Williams told me, "We never thought you'd lose that much." Bowden said, "You've lost a ton of weight, man. I mean it."

Let me tell you how things have changed over the last six months.

Six months ago, my pant size was 38. It is now a 30. My shirt size was an XXL going on an XXXL. Now it is a Medium, and many people say I should go for a Small. No longer does fat jiggle on my skin when I make loud jokes. I can run around the house without getting winded :-). Six months ago, I failed running the mile, couldn't do it, only ran a lap. Today I ran the mile in five minutes and thirty seconds (haha, nine minutes and eight seconds, jk). My self-esteem is up. My confidence is up. I feel much better.

Now you are asking: how.

Atkin's diet? No.
Protein diet? Not really.
1000 calorie? Tried it, didn't work, I gained pounds.
Purging? Nope.

I ate natural foods. Natural peanut butter, wheat bread, lean meats, lots of fruits and vegetables, all-grain cereals and low fatty foods. I also did tons of crunches and sit-ups and push-ups (still do) and run (still do). That is the secret. That's what the doctors tell you. Listen. They know. I am proud to be one of the few who sees a goal, chases it - and wins.

And the fat didn't really start coming off until I asked God to help me. Between the night I asked Him for help and the morning I woke up, I miraculously lost over a pound. The ball kept rolling. Thank You.

****I will try to get pictures up sometime soon.

1 comment:

Doug Hill said...

dude...you are an inspiration to others bro. keep up the good work. it's a lifestyle. not just a season. i know you will be successful for a lifetime.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...