Sunday, September 26, 2004

Thursday afternoon, a lot of things happened. I removed all my devotionals, all my Christian self-help books (Boost your prayer life and experiencing spiritual breakthroughs, and I threw all the about-God and about-doctrine books in a box and shoved them in the closet. I am so sick and tired of three-point sermons and six-steps spiritual fix-its. For so long I've been aiming at knowing about God, that I have been neglecting knowing God personally. I am tired of creation-vs.-evolution, is-baptism-essential-for-salvation, is-there-soul-sleep debates and it is EATING MY BRAINS OUT! I ache and long to know God personally, intimately; He the Lover and I the Beloved. I have been drawing closer over the last few days, as he has been pulling strings to get me closer to him, and it's been wonderful. He isn't so much a theological statement as a Father and Lover.

My friend Dylan Yosick and Iwere re-baptized in the creek at North Park. I just felt God putting this on my heart, and I pulled them aside before the prayer groups at lunch and expressed what I was planning to do. Dylan said, "I want to be baptized, too." None of us had been baptized since rededication to Christ. The water was freezing, but it didn't matter, because when I came out of the water, the colors and sounds and air of the woods just exploded vibrantly, and joy seared through me; it was as if God was saying, "I love you. I love you."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that must have been awesome, amazing, wonderful, and just overwhelming! i just dont ever seem to feel God anymore.

darker than silence said...

lately i have been hollow spiritually. I need more than a good worship gathering or a good message or some nice devotionals. all those just skim the surface. i want God hardcore.

Anonymous said...

Anth,

You are right on. 99% of the "self-help"/devotions/bible studyies tell us we need to read the bible and pray more, yet we continue to buy more self-help books and attend more bible studies. Isn't it ironic that Christian bookstores have fewer and fewer bibles, but more and more other books?

Focus on God's Word and spend time just listening to Him, with no other distractions.

dad

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...