Monday, September 13, 2004

So deep and hollowing is my desire, that it drowns me in oceans of despair, vast wastelands of loneliness and frail vision. I cry out, oft straining under the burden, bitter tears and empty-hands. How great my desire to touch the plan - not a plan of writing in ink on paper, with pages and pages of legal footnotes, not a plan that kills and squanders the spirit - but a plan written with Spirit by spirit, His life on mine. My soul thirsts and pants for the real and better life, more full and real than I've ever dreamed. I want to feel and experience and commune with the living, personal God, forgetting - abandoning! - the dry, tasteless, chiseled-stone and textbook god of dictionaries and theologies and philosophies; I want to forfeit the obsolete god-legislation for a God who blinds my eyes and makes my spirit salivate. So I cry out for a wide-open and spacious life. I don't want my love, my faith, my worship and passion and ideas to be fenced in; I no longer want to feel small - for our lives are not small, we just live them in small ways: it chokes us of uniqueness, originality, the who-we-are, the who-God-made-us. I want to open up my life to myself, to others, to God. The desire - aching in the marrow of my fragile bones - is a desire to be more alive, more loving, more concerned, more sensitive, more reverent, more human, more passionate, more responsible. My desire - the desire I so log to touch - is to divorce my head, have an affair with my heart - to experience the real God, and to live the experience.

3 comments:

Rochelle said...

It sounds like God's working on your heart Anthony it's often a painful journey when you're dealing with your heart I just finished a book called "The Journey of Desire Searching for the Life We've Only Dreamed Of" by John Eldredge I think you would really like it if you haven't already read it It deals with exactly what you are talking about

Unknown said...

Hey whats up dude. Thats so amazing of how true that is. We all need a real and loving relationship with our freind, father , and companion. Some people dont realize what that means to have a real personal relationship with Him. He's waiting with open arms for us to come back to Him. He's waiting for us to run from our evil ways and just to be one with Him.
Later

darker than silence said...

Rochelle, it's amazing because I've felt God telling me to buy that book over the last couple days! I had scarce money, but when you mentioned it, I went out and bought it. I'll read through it and post any questions, comments, ideas.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...