Friday, September 07, 2007

a life of simplicity

I want to live a life of simplicity. It's so easy to get caught up in this world...
A philosophy of simplicity. Hmmm... that sounds interesting.

"What does it mean to live simply? To live truly simply?"
"How can I live simply in the world in which I live?"
"How might false simplicity masquerade as true simplicity?"
"How can we discern true simplicity from false simplicity?"
"What role does ascetics play in simplicity? Or do they play a role at all?"

A simple life... These questions rage within me.

Simplicity is the absence of complexity.

"What makes life complex?"
"How can I discern the complexities from the simplicities?"
"If I CAN discern complexities versus simplicity...
then how do I pursue simplicity over complexity?"

It's 12:30 in the morning. It's way too late for me to be thinking about this.

I should turn off my light and go to bed.

But my mind rages:
shrieking questions
inhospitable fears
a search for something more
confusion unabated

I want my life to make sense... Am I seeking an interest in "simplicity" for the sake of ascertaining a life that makes sense? Where I can tell up from down? Where I can tell good from evil? Where I can know my own heart and my true motivations and desires? Where I can become a man of character and integrity?

There is something in the idea of a "simple life" that draws me...
Maybe it's a promise of escapism?
But would--will?--simplicity bring such an escape?
Or will I find that my problems don't just fade away into the background?

I read Walden once. Mayhaps I should pick it up again?

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...