Wednesday, September 12, 2007

my personal bubonic plague

Life is filled with drama.
Sometimes I just want to dig a hole and throw myself in it,
and never climb out.
but then I would never see the flowers blossom,
hear the laughter of children playing in the snow,
catch the scent of early spring rains,
or laugh so hard I can no longer speak.
Resignation may be easier sometimes…
But the darkness will choke you.
Why are we so attracted to the noose?

Fall is coming. Yay! I love the changing colors on the trees, the soft autumn breezes, carving pumpkins and sweet potato casserole. I remember in my younger days, how much I loved going to my friend’s house and throwing a football. I remember running through the woods behind our house and jumping across the creek. And I’ll never forget how we would ride our bikes through town, pedaling as hard as we could with nowhere to go at all, time but a memory of the past. Those days… Such wonderful days. Now I don’t have time for things like that anymore. I’m always writing papers it seems, and going to class or working. The drama of adult life crowds me, my own personal bubonic plague. When does fall officially begin? I must find out, for I praise the coming of fall by buying cheap gourds from Kroger’s and decorating my room with them. I like to draw smiley faces on them with a felt-tip marker.

My alarm didn’t go off for my EXODUS class this morning (well, yesterday morning, technically-speaking), so I missed that for a second time. I’m enjoying my classes, though. While my Corinthians class is boring, the take-home work is amazing. I’ve learned so much so far. I always thought 1-2 Corinthians were boring, but looking at it from a fresh perspective, I’m finding the letters fascinating.

I really should be getting off here. Class in the morning, and a phone call to make.

“Oh, drama, can you leave me alone for one night?”

P.S. It was September 12, 2006 (exactly a year ago) that I wrecked my Jeep, and the tale of a flying car, Appalachian children, portable communion, and State Avenue baptisms was born.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...