Wednesday, January 18, 2012

the 29th week

Monday. I tossed and turned all night, insomnia kicking me in the ass. It was one of those nights you feel you haven't slept a wink, but come dawn you realize you've slept far more than you thought. Nevertheless I did need an exorbitant amount of coffee to keep going. I spent the afternoon drinking Mexican Chiapis and writing. Brandy came over around 4:30, the usual Monday occurrence, and we crowded Blake's room and watched a documentary on Pearl Jam. Nick was here, and he made an amazing dessert, some sort of pineapple cake paired with vanilla bean ice cream (the best flavors always rhyme). I ended the night playing Smash with Rob, Amos & Blake. 

Tuesday. A long day of work, as expected: super busy, understaffed, everyone exhausted and working late. But that's par for the course at this point. Training woke me up: we did coffee tastings of our new coffees (we switched distributors, and now all our coffees--except for the Brazil Sierra Negra--are Fair Trade- or Organic-certified). Back home I did a spot of writing and had a Greek salad for dinner. It was a quiet and unexciting evening spent drinking wine and reading Tolkien. I really do like these quiet nights.

Wednesday. It was cold and wet all day, with "snow terrors" regarding tomorrow. Surprisingly we weren't slammed at work. I spent the afternoon lounging around, and I grabbed Subway for dinner and watched "Psych." I bruised my knee on the stairs something awful, 'cause I fell, and in the process I think I pulled a muscle 'round my groin. "You're all fucked up." No worries: I called it a night after some wine and finishing Book One of "Lord of the Rings" (there's actually six books, not just three, despite it being a trilogy; weird, I know). 

Thursday. Another crazy day at work, and yet somehow I got out on time. Snow started falling when I left at 3:00, and not twenty minutes later, everything was coated in white. Mandy, Ams and I sat in the living room with the snow falling, and Mandy confirmed my quiet suspicions: she and Rob are leaving. Rob got an amazing job offer in Portland, Oregon, and he's taking it. He's already taken it, actually, and will be (per my understanding of it) flying out on the 28th and Mandy will be following suit within the first few days of February. Tonight they told their housemates and close friends, and we all just sorta took it in (and, to be fair, now a week later, it all still feels surreal), and tomorrow they planned on telling all the work place peeps tomorrow. 

Friday. The news broke, and it was taken really well by everyone. Bob's excited for Rob as a friend, and he's supporting Rob's decision while getting everything ready for his departure. I got home early, and Blake and I hung out in his room, and then Alex S. and Cat came by, and we gathered in the living room and drank beers (Rogue) and smoked hookah. Now that the word's out, everyone at 600 is pumped for Rob and confident that things at The Tazz will continue smoothly. That's definitely good to hear, not just for all of us who work there, but especially for Rob, who's poured so much of himself into this place and wants more than anything to see Tazza Mia flourish.

Saturday. Since Rob decided to go visit his parents in Dayton instead of eating Dusmesh, I decided to skip Dusmesh as well and go to my parents' place in Dayton. Mom and Dad ran off to Detroit for the weekend, so I was handed the responsibility of watching Sky. I can't complain, for two reasons: (1) I love her, and it's always great to have her around [even with her stick fetish, though it can get to be "too much" at times], and (2) she's my dog, not theirs, and they're adopting responsibility for as long as I live in a place that doesn't allow dogs. Anyways, because I missed Dusmesh in Cincy I got it at Namaste India, right next to good ol' Spring Valley Starbucks. My order: chicken tikka masala, samosas, and naam bread to the max. Sooo good, and great portions too (I had enough left for dinner, which never happens, cause this boy likes to eat). Tyler came over, and we went to Barnes & Noble like we used to do all the time, and we got drinks from the off-brand Starbucks in the corner of the store, and back home we watched documentaries on Netflix, and he ordered a pizza and we listened to music, wholly zoned-out and at peace.

Sunday. Sky woke me up 'round 8 A.M. I ran some errands and got a drink from the Centerville Starbucks, and I spent my morning listening to music, cuddling with Sky, and writing. Lunch was cornbread and steak chili from D.L.M. while watching science documentaries written by Stephen Hawking. Great stuff. I cleaned up the place and was out the door by dusk, and after hanging out with Blake, Amos and Andy, I spontaneously abandoned the house and the East Side ran red with the fruits of my vicious slaughter. [End Scene]

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...