Saturday, January 21, 2012

an ice "storm"

Friday evening I met up with Mom, Dad and Ams at the Red Robin 'bout twenty miles north. This means that I've officially had Red Robin more times in one month than I've had it for the rest of my life's entirety. The journey up there was quite a hot mess, and it goes something like this: because everyone was coming from somewhere else, we all drove separately. When Ams and I are driving separately with the same destination, it's not uncommon for us to race (hopefully being safe about it in the process). I thought I saw her zoom by me, so I sped up and raced her car for several miles, only to discover (once I got off the exit with her behind me) that it wasn't her in the first place, and that I'd missed Exit 19 and gone all the way past to Exit 16 (I was heading south at the time, since we'd initially met farther north at an eye appointment place). So I got off the exit and headed back north to hit Exit 19, but then I missed that one and got off at Exit 21. I turned around yet again with my eyes glued, and got off Exit 19, to find that I had gotten off on the right exit, I'd just thought it was Exit 16 instead of 19. Dyslexic, perhaps? All-in-all, I somehow made it to the restaurant, and I somehow ended up beating both Mom and Ams. 

That's a whole paragraph void of substance, and however long it took you to read that is time you'll never get back.

I decided to get the Royal Robin Burger, which is essentially Rock Bottom's 2 A.M. burger: you've got all the trimmings you like, plus a fried egg on top, and then cooked onion straws added for extra flourishing flavor. I can see why Blake gets it all the time. It started raining on our way home, and then Amos' "party" started at the house. He invited a bunch of people, and Emily and Gabe showed up before we cancelled the party due to inclement weather, what with the rain freezing and all. So we spent the night at the house, playing video games and watching TV and smoking hookah and drinking beers. 

Andy spent the night, and come morning we found everything doused in ice. It certainly wasn't as bad as the ice storm we had several years ago where trees were falling over, but the street was caked in ice and it took us a good solid hour to (a) get into our cars and (b) get the ice off. Andy and I braved the roads (which really weren't that awful, so long as you stuck to the main ones) and met up at Dusmesh India. The process of getting there may have taken three times as long as usual because of the ice, but both of us were quite glad we made the trip. Now to wait for this ice to melt. Apparently it's supposed to be fifty degrees tomorrow!

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...