Monday, January 30, 2012

the 31st week

Welp. Rob headed out this week. 
Here's the re:cap.

Monday. Thankfully today wasn't cold, and there wasn't any ice on the roads. I got home by 4:00 and did some cleaning, hung out with Blake and Andy for a while. Blayne came over, and so did Brandy Rae and John. We lit the hookah and passed around a chemex. Sarah jumped in the fray. After everyone left, Amos, Blake, Ams and I wound down in Blake's room, and then I read some Tolkien and went to bed.

Tuesday. Another cold and windy January day. I came home to an empty house, except for Katie, who had made a spur-of-the-moment decision to come visit Mandy all the way from Columbus, Indiana. We hung out for a good while before Mandy showed up, and then she and Katie went to Rock Bottom and I ran some errands in Northside. I went by Gabe and Emily's place. They have two lesbian cats who are in heat and constantly going at it; weird but hilarious. When I got back I spent much of the evening hanging out with Katie, Mandy, and Ams, and then Katie went home and I gave Amos a ride back to work because he accidentally stole the side door key, and we ended the night hanging out with Rob, and Jake came by at 10:30 with a gigantic pizza, a farewell gift to Roberto.

Wednesday. We were understaffed at work, so that was frustrating, but I made $20 in tips, so I can't complain (too much). Mandy and I listened to "The Who" when I got home from work, and I took a quick nap before going back to work for a mandatory all-staff meeting: staffing changes, pricing changes, new menu items, etc. After the meeting we crossed the street and Bob bought everyone drinks and appetizers. A Going-Away party for Rob. I had a White Russian and devoured some fried clams, and I gave Emily a ride to her car and then Amos and I polished off the buzz with some "Call of Duty." 

Thursday. It was rainy and "warm" most of the day. We were slammed at work and I got out late. [Pen changes to childlike scribbling: I hung out with my amazingly incredible sister who is what I would call "baller shot collar." She's pretty fucking cool in all ways and meanings...] The moving truck came today, and Rob and Mandy loaded up all their things to be shipped to Portland. It was a chill night hanging out with Rob and Amos, and I even got to talk to Mandy K. for a while, but I was sooo tired during it that I don't remember much. But I'm sure it was good.

Friday. Tyler came down around 5:00, and we got dinner from Rally's and spent the evening hanging out with people for Rob and Mandy's "official" going-away party. And it was official because there was a keg of Killian's Irish Red (a rhyme). We also had beer pong going on in the basement and Tony decided to make a fire out back on his way back from peeing in the bushes, and we put whole cardboard boxes in it just to see what would happen (nothing good, that's for sure). The party ran till about 2:30 in the morning, the last partiers trickling out around that point. If I were to make a list of all the people who came by, no one would read it because it'd be so long (like the genealogies in the bible; yeah, everyone skims or just skips those, let's be honest). So here are people I actually enjoyed seeing: Tony and Jessie, Chris Cooper and Laura, and I'm realizing that most people who came were people I see all the time and like very much: Brandy and John, Andy, C. Isaac, and then of course all the housemates and the Guests of Honor and others I'm forgetting because this post is hurried. 

Saturday. I slept in till 10:30, and Tyler and I headed over to Dusmesh for Rob's last "Saturday Indian". It was our biggest crew yet: Rob & Mandy, Rob's mom and brother and sister-in-law, me and Tyler, and Cat ad Alex from work. When Tyler left I took a drive into Mount Adams and back, cruising through Eden Park with the wind-beaten naked trees and curling yellowed grass. I don't take drives much anymore: it's cold, the shocks freeze, and now the RPM is being fishy. I listened to The Black Keys as I drove, sipping an iced double espresso. I took a long nap and spent the rest of the day hanging out with the roomies, hanging out together one last time. We shared lots of laughter and watched a documentary on D.M.T., and then Rob went to bed because he has to be up early. The house will be quieter, that much is for sure (at least until Andy moves in). At least we still have Mandy, if only for a bit. 

Sunday. Rob left around 4:00 this morning to catch a 6:00 flight to Minneapolis before getting on another plane to Portland. I expected to be woken up by either him or Mandy passing my room, so I could say goodbye one last time, but I slept through it all and woke to sunshine coming through the blinds. Heh. Amos and I got breakfast at The Anchor, and we talked shoppe and lamented Rob's absence. "Only eleven months 'till we see him again." - a sobering remark. The day was spent hanging out with Blake, Amos and Andy. Usually Rob would join us for such times, but, well, you know.

There, finished it. It's 5:35 and Brandy Rae should be getting here soon.
I always enjoy her Monday visits. It's a sort of ritual. 
Blake's pacing in the kitchen and Mandy's in class.
Amos is getting home soon, and Ams is a hermit tonight: homework.
Blake just went upstairs without paying homage.
I'm gonna patter after him.
Patter. Like a cat. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...