Monday, December 17, 2012

gatlinburg: post-script

This past weekend was spent in Gatlinburg, Tennessee for a surprise birthday bash for John. Brandy set it up, rented a big-ass cabin, and a lot of us went down to surprise him. He was adequately surprised. I would go into immense detail, but I'll be doing that soon: I've decided to keep up with the weekly recaps, because several people have told me they like them for various reasons (and also because I'm often lacking in blog post ideas). Hopefully I'll have the weekly recap, albeit refitted a bit to make it a tad different, up in the next few days. Suffice it to say, for the moment, that the weekend was spent drinking, playing games, getting proper fucked up, and celebrating one of our best friends in the mist-soaked Smokies. Definitely a good time.

Everything at work is in a sort of suspension. Brandon's on his way out; he'll probably be gone the first of January. He just can't take the stress of the position, and I don't blame him: no one wants that job. Bob's looking for Brandon's replacement, may have already made a decision; honestly, we pity the poor fool who ends up in that position. Bob's goal is to hire someone and give them permission and encouragement to fire people. He wants someone who will be disconnected from the team. How does this make any sense? It doesn't. But that's how things work at T.M. Also, our espresso machine blew up on Friday. Apparently it was getting worked on late last night, we'll see what happens. 

Mo and I are back together. We broke up about two weeks ago, and I didn't realize how much I really liked her until she wasn't around anymore. So we went out to IHOP late last night and talked for a while, and we addressed some of our differences and are working to get through them. It's rare to find someone who accepts you as you are, is comfortable with who you are, is quirky and weird just as you are, and who is so compatible. And it's a plus that she's beautiful and I'm superbly into her. Maybe I'm afraid of commitment, maybe I have some issues to work through, but I can't keep surrendering to the fears and the uncertainties time and time again. That gets no one anywhere, just relentless circles, dog-paddling to nowhere. 

It's 9:45, almost time to pack up and head off to work.
I'm at The Anchor, of course.
The waitresses gave me a coffee cup filled with baked goods.
It's their Christmas gift to their top regulars.
Am I honored? Absolutely I am.

Now to get off here, close shop, and head over to Amos' for another night of partying. Some people hate Mondays. They're actually my favorite day of the week (minus the shift of work before the ritualistic festivities). 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...