Monday, December 31, 2012

park avenue: the 3rd week

Jessie and me being awesome, or something.
Christmas Eve. I spent the morning at The Anchor: coffee and cigarettes are delightful on cold, rainy mornings. The early afternoon was spent reading and watching "The Last of the Mohicans". I jetted up to New Carlisle to celebrate Christmas with Dad's side of the family. Grandma cooked her usual kick-ass meal, and after gorging ourselves on a platter filled with deserts, we opened presents. I got a bunch of books on the War of 1812. We went to a church service at Grandma & Grandpa's home church, and after some guitar and ice cream, we headed home. I showed Mom a pic of Mo. "She's such a cutie!" she exclaimed. She sent the pic to Aunt Teri, who said, "She's just adorable!" They're great judges. Ams and I  spent the night at Mom & Dad's: Christmas tomorrow!

Christmas. Mom & I fixed a breakfast of bacon, eggs, ham and pancakes, and then we curled up with Sky to open presents. I got a bunch of cool stuff, most notably more books on The War of 1812 (plus one on The French & Indian War). Ams, Dad and I spent the afternoon tinkering on the cars, and Mom & I threw together a dinner of crock-pot chicken, mashed potatoes, and corn. I headed back to Cincinnati just in time to see Blake on his way out the door to a fun-filled night. The night drew long and cold and I finally finished my laundry (I'm the worst at it). Mom & Dad stopped by to see the new place with Ams in tow. Mom & Dad left after opening their gifts from Ams and me, since she forgot to bring them to Dayton yesterday, and then Ams & I watched "Inglourious Basterds." She left and Blake returned, and we watched part of a fucked-up movie called "Rampage," glorifying killing sprees. A little too much following the past two weeks of mass serial killings and attempts all across the continental U.S. America's pretty fucked up sometimes.

Wednesday. Our first real snow fell overnight, about 1-2". Dave & I worked a short shift, 6:30-11:30, but I had to stay late waiting on the milk delivery. It finally came around 1:30, and I took Dave home as more snow started falling, and I made my way over to Northside to see Gabe & Emily. We had a few beers and the snow was coming down like a blizzard, so I left earlier than anticipated. Snow fell in torrents all the way home, but my brand-new tires handled quite well. I took a warm, cozy nap back home with the snow frosting the windows, and I woke to fix honey-maple pancakes paired with thick-sliced bacon and scrambled eggs (the eggs being cooked in the bacon grease). The night ended after hanging with Isaac and drinking some wine named after the Incas.

Thursday. Brandon was snowed in up north--they got 10", so Amos covered his shift. We closed the store early, and I spent the evening at Amos' playing Call of Duty II with Brandy, Amos, and John. Twice now they've had someone try to break in, probably crackpots three houses down looking for something they can pawn for a fix. Great neighborhood. At least Clover scares them off. 

Friday. I closed the shop down early due to scant customers, and I spent the evening hanging out with Blake and playing the solo campaign mode on MW3. I finished it in about four hours. Last night John & I played Cod2 for seven hours straight. Pathetic, I know.

Saturday. Four more inches of snow fell overnight, and I woke to an absolutely beautiful view from my balcony. I spent the morning running errands, cleaning around the house, and enjoyed a classic McDonald's breakfast. I spent the afternoon reading and watching TV, went to The Anchor for a bit, and then met up with Amos at his place. We played some more CoD2 and met up with Blake, Ams, and Isaac back home. We watched "Catfish" and then everyone parted ways.

Sunday. Jessie was in town, so we met up at The Anchor to enjoy coffee, breakfast, and catching up. I wish she lived closer, I really do, and I'm so thankful we've kept our friendship alive 'n kickin' amidst the undulating currents of life. I told her all about Mo, how things are going well, how I'm optimistic about the future. Day and day I fall for Mo a bit more. My evening as spent back at the house watching TV with Ams. We fixed pancakes, bacon, and eggs for dinner and watched Game of Thrones with Andy & Isaac. It was nice seeing Andy, hadn't seen him for weeks amidst all the holiday madness. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...