Saturday, December 08, 2012

moving day (II of III)

Last night was our last night in the Claypole House.
“The End of an Era.”
Or at least that’s what I’ve heard people say.
But, no, I agree: the end of an era.

The Claypole House ran a solid 2 ½ years, 2 ½ years filled with amazing people, awkward and hilarious moments, memories that will never go, and tensions that couldn’t be cut with a knife. I was only there for the last 1 ½ years, but even the year before my time will live in mental infamy: those days living in Dayton, speeding down to Cincinnati after work, joined by Dylan, drinking and partying, hitting up yogurt shops with Mandy and participating in pipe club with Blake and Amos. Those were the days of the Classic Club’s genesis and my ascension to presidency, an ascension validated by my moving in and displaying my awkwardly uncomfortable life exhibitionist-style. That summer of 2011 is one of the best summers, if not the best summer, I’ve ever hands, hands fucking down. The autumn and winter remain special in my heart, those days skyping with the Wisconsinite and then jetting up to see her around Halloween. I frequently remember how she so excellently guided us into a closed room to escape a chainsaw-wielding cereal killer (no, not serial killer; this was a haunted trail, a reenactment and not the real thing, and the guy with the chainsaw struck me as the sort to pound cereal). Rob and Mandy moved out in February, followed by Amos and Ams. Andy moved in for a bit, lighting the mood, such an awesome guy. But then Andy moved out, leaving only two. And now there are none. The Claypole House has indeed fallen apart: Rob and Mandy in Portland, Jessie and Tony stuck out in Cahokia country, Andrew and Megan married and doing their own thing, Ams living with Chris and Sarah, Amos at the Loth House with John and Brandy, Andy living with his parents and working a kick-ass job teaching people about 2nd temple Palestinian Judaism. Blake and I have bid the bitch our farewell as well, and now we’re relocated to the Hyde Park area, Isaac joining in the fray.

“The End of an Era,” indeed.
Today we rented a U-Haul and lugged out the furniture and appliances.
I love driving big trucks, I really do.
Amos and Isaac helped out, but Isaac had to jet to work.
And that rendered us, as you could put together, a skeleton crew.
(See, Ams? I included it.)
But at least it didn’t rain.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...