Friday, March 07, 2014

a quiet night in dayton

bored at work...

It's late in the evening. Mom and Dad are finishing off their pizzas and I'm cuddling with Sky on the sofa as we watch "Elementary" (a show about Sherlock Holmes). I've filed my tax returns and am looking forward to getting half a grand in my account over the next couple weeks. It'll be transferred directly to my "Wisconsin" fund. 

Sometimes I fear I have too many irons in the fire. I've engaged myself in so many books and intellectual projects, and at times it can be overwhelming (better than being underwhelming, I guess). Part of me wants to "pare down" all those things I'm intellectually investing myself in: colonial American history, reading countless books, trying to piece together a work of historical fiction, trying to "relearn" the fundamentals of Koine Greek... And yet, in the midst of all this, I know that (a) despite all the hours I spend at work, I have a decent amount of free time to spend doing nothing to save money, and since I don't have TV or internet, such projects are an easy and delightful way to pass the time. Also (b) once Mandy and I are hitched, and especially when we start having children, my free time will vaporize like mineral water under a mercury sun. 

Oh, I forgot another "task" I'm throwing myself into: after watching "Son of God," I found myself itching to just plunge into studying the life of Christ. When I got back to Dayton after my trip in northern Illinois, I crawled into the crawlspace (that's why they call it that) and fished out several commentaries on the gospels and my classic "A Harmony of the Gospels." Beginning with John 1.1-18, I'm starting an intellectual journey through the life of Christ, focusing primarily on (a) the social-historical context of the events, parables, and teachings, (b) how said events, parables, and teachings would be seen from various perspectives of those involved [disciples, followers, "sinners," Pharisees, Roman occupiers], and (c) the disposition of Jesus towards those involved, paying particular attention to the way he showed love in word and deed. If we as Christians are to be "little Christs" in the world, practicing the "presence of Christ" (something like WWJD, except on steroids), then what better way than to immerse ourselves in the life of Christ? This study will be far from boring (in the "dry intellectualism" sense), for I'm doing it in the context of a meditative technique where you use your imagination to experience the contours of the events and teachings so that it comes alive to all the senses. For this to work, of course, there's going to be considerable study of the "background information" pertinent to 2nd temple Palestinian Judaism in the Roman occupation, especially in regards to daily life. 

In the midst of all this work and study, I'm making "play" a priority. Thursday nights are one of my only free nights (I'm off work at 1:30 PM). I was going to the Young Adult Group at U.C.C., but I've decided instead to use that time for hanging out with my friends and family. Since I will be going to Wisconsin around the end of the summer, my time with them is limited, and I'd much rather continue seeing these friends than trying to forge new friendships at a bible study (which I thoroughly enjoyed) before suddenly jumping ship. Thus Thursday nights have often found me in Dayton with Mom or Dad, or hanging out with Pat D., or making time to see Ams. This past Thursday Corey, Mandy H., Kevin, Ams and I went to Rock Bottom for dinner and drinks. I cherish these friendships, most of all my friendship with Ams: we laughed until we cried, and I found my soul refreshed. I'm so thankful for the relationship we have. She really is one of my best friends, and she'll be the one I miss most when I move north, that's for sure. I'm glad we've both been more proactive about spending time with one another; we're making memories I'll cherish during those early "hard months" of living in an entirely new place, an entirely new "world". 

Oh, I forgot another "task" I'm throwing myself into: after watching "Son of God," I found myself itching to just plunge into studying the life of Christ. When I got back to Dayton after my trip in northern Illinois, I crawled into the crawlspace (that's why they call it that) and fished out several commentaries on the gospels and my classic "A Harmony of the Gospels." Beginning with John 1.1-18, I'm starting an intellectual journey through the life of Christ, focusing primarily on (a) the social-historical context of the events, parables, and teachings, (b) how said events, parables, and teachings would be seen from various perspectives of those involved [disciples, followers, "sinners," Pharisees, Roman occupiers], and (c) the disposition of Jesus towards those involved, paying particular attention to the way he showed love in word and deed. If we as Christians are to be "little Christs" in the world, practicing the "presence of Christ" (something like WWJD, except on steroids), then what better way than to immerse ourselves in the life of Christ? This study will be far from boring (in the "dry intellectualism" sense), for I'm doing it in the context of a meditative technique where you use your imagination to experience the contours of the events and teachings so that it comes alive to all the senses. For this to work, of course, there's going to be considerable study of the "background information" pertinent to 2nd temple Palestinian Judaism in the Roman occupation, especially in regards to daily life. 

This post has been unnecessarily long.
And so I'll close with a photobomb!
(It rhymes, so...)


No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...